Futile Attempt

Crowpaw's POV

Another sunrise had passed, and I planned to walk with Aurorapaw and hopefully hang out with her at the Gathering later. Darkheart even sat in front of the leader's den, making sure that no one else tagged along on our walk.

Apparently, Grizzlypaw had tried to join our conversation about Clan strategies, when my sisters had dragged him away as usual. But I had to remember that this was for the best, this would keep both of us out of trouble.

I finished grooming myself in the apprentice's den, and I prodded Aurorapaw as she was still sleeping. She grumbled and tried to bat my paw away, and I leaned in to whisper.

"Can I show you something?" I asked. Aurorapaw's left eye peeked open, and I could see her shoulders fall in disappointment.

"Can't you wait till after patrols?" Aurorapaw asked, closing her eyes.

"A little less sleep won't hurt anyone, and I think you'll really like it." I persisted, oh StarClan I hated persisting. I just didn't want to be banished, and I felt bad for it.

"Okay, you were kind enough to listen to Smokypaw. I might as well see what you like." Aurorapaw stood up and walked past the other apprentices. "Let's make it quick though."

We walked out of the apprentice's den where Darkheart was pretending to be asleep. He trusted me not to mess this up, and chose not to spy on us. I felt relieved, knowing that I only had to fake feelings in front of one cat and not two.

How was I supposed to express love to her right away? Maybe I should wait until a moon or two from now...

"So, Smokypaw wants to become leader?" I asked.

"Yes, it's been her greatest dream." Aurorapaw revealed. "Her parents don't believe in her, but I do. You saw how she spoke, don't you think it was so...eloquent?"

"Yeah." I agreed, wondering if I should change the subject. Darkheart was right about her being very close to Smokypaw.

But was she just like me? Did she like Smokypaw? Maybe we could both pretend to like each other, so we could stay in DragonClan!

"She wants me to become her deputy." Aurorapaw added. "I didn't feel useful before we became friends, but now I have a purpose..."

"Aurorapaw." I frowned. "You don't need another cat to feel useful. You're great just the way you are."

"Why did you really bring me out here?" Aurorapaw stood in front of me. "Darkheart put you up to this, didn't he? He never sleeps outside of Goldenstar's den."

"Maybe he likes Goldenstar?" I suggested, my claws sinking into the grass anxiously. Shit, shit, shit, shit!

"You dare question my relationship with Smokypaw?" Aurorapaw growled. "I'd be nothing without her!"

"Relationship?" I whispered. "Aurorapaw, I desperately need your help. That's why I came to you. Darkheart's thinking of kicking me out of DragonClan."

"What?" Aurorapaw snapped. "What could you have possibly done that was so horrible?"

"I've caught feelings for Grizzlypaw." I admitted. "Darkheart adopted me, and he wanted me to pursue you to cure this disease i-inside..."

I felt like I was drowning in my own mistakes, and I sealed my fate. Tears were rolling down my fur, and I was ready for Aurorapaw to yell at me and tell my secret to everyone.

You deserve this, you deserve to die alone where you can't hurt anyone...

Aurorapaw stepped forward and pressed her head into my shoulder, and I was surprised to feel her shaking as well.