A Change of Style

Season 2, after Kanan was blinded, but also before season 3's events

Ezra POV

It's been weeks since Kanan was blinded by Maul, and ever since then, I haven't seen him. He knows it's my fault, and he's avoiding me, and the worst part is, I don't blame him.

If I hadn't trusted Maul, maybe things could have turned different. No one is happy anymore because of one simple mistake from me...that could have been easily avoided. Kanan warned me too! How could I have been so blind?

"Kid, eh," Zeb snapped his fingers in my face. "Huh," I slurred, startled from being suddenly pulled into reality.

"Stop zoning out," Zeb hissed. I nod and look over at Hera, who has her back facing us while she stares down at her datapad. I know why she won't face me. Because she is disappointed in me. Kanan told her the whole story when they escorted the both of us the med-bay.

He received a lightsaber wound to the eyes, and I got a broken wrist from when Darth Vader sliced my little lightsaber into pieces. I wonder what would have happened if he had cut me.

"As you, all know, since our last incident involving Darth Vader, the bounty on us has gone up through the roof. However, this mission seemed just too good to pass up," Hera said, her voice in a fake enthusiasm voice.

"What's the mission?" Sabine grumbled, her voice is no longer sarcastic and carefree, but short-tempered. "A small town on Garel. One of the Phoneix pilots left an important disc with one of the citizens. Your mission: find the disc, and we all get paid."

Zeb and Sabine both stood up and began making their way to the phantom. "Um, I don't have any weapons like them," I stated, gesturing to Sabine and Zeb. Hera turned to me, her eyes red and puffy from tears. 

"Oh, I nearly forgot," Hera replied, throwing a blaster at me. I held it in my hands as I followed Zeb and Sabine, and I soon realized I was holding Kanan's blaster.

--Timeskip--

We walked down the dirt road of the small town. "This place couldn't get any eerier," Zeb mumbled. Sabine elbowed him in a playful yet rough way.

"Eh, if it puts food on the table, I don't care how creepy it is," Sabine replied confidently. Sabine then looks at me, a glare of light reflecting off of her helmet. "What about you, kid? Do you sense anything?"

Sabine then waved her hand in a magical way. I swat her away with a playful tone. "It's not like that, Bine," I pouted. But I know they only act bright and happy around me during missions, to get my mind and their mind off of the whole Malacore incident, but I know better.

Zeb and Sabine then continued on with their lighthearted banter, when I spotted someone. The silhouette of a person entering one of the houses. "There!" I hissed, rendering the two of them silent. "That person that went into that house, we could try going there," I suggested.

Sabine looked at the other houses, which appeared empty. "We ain't got anything better to do," Zeb grumbled as he walked forward, in the direction of the house, Sabine and I following close behind.

I knocked on the door, in a cheerful way, plastering my fake smile on my face. A man opened the door, and from the simple look in his eyes, I knew he was some sort of Mandalorian.

"Yeah," he grunted. "Hello, sir. We were wondering if we could come in and ask you a few questions," Sabine explained. The man studied us before smiling. "Of course!"

He opened the door and motioned for us to come in. Just as he closed the door he seemed to focus on me more than the others. "Ya'know, my daughter just finished making dinner. If you like, you could have some," the man offered.