34.

Joey

I wish there could have been a different way. I wish I could have rescued my sister and kept V with me too. I miss him already, it's like a part of me has disappeared and nothing feels the same anymore.

It's only been two days since he was taken away and already, I've forgotten what life was like without him.

He's only been in my life for a few months. Who knew that he would make such an impact on my life.

I'm finally able to move back into my apartment and I can live a normal life now.

I'm letting my sister live with me with her kids until she finds a place to stay.  

  "Are you feeling okay?" I asked Vick once she opened her eyes.

She sat up a little and took in her surroundings. She nodded. "The kids are in the living room sleep."

   "Thank you Joey."

   "Aw, it was nothing."

   "Joey. Seriously, thank you." She rubbed my back in a comforting way. "Now, tell me what's been going on with you?"

   "Nothing. I'm just glad that you're okay."

   "They kept me locked in some room. I didn't even know where the kids were. It was terrible."

   "It's alright now. You're with me, sis."

   "That guy... What's his name? ... V?" I turned away at the sound of his name. "He must have been really inportant to you."

   "Yeah, he was."

   "I can't believe you gave him up for me and the kids."

   "Well, family comes first."

   "That's so sweet, and also kinda stupid."

   "What?"

   "You heard me," she folded her arms. "Joey, I know that family is important to you. But, if you love the guy... Go after him."

   "But... If I hadn't of turned him in, you still would be locked up."

   "I understand. But, you love him too. I haven't seen you so in love before. Not even with Ricardo, or anyone before him."

My mind went back to when V was being taken away and he yelled out that he loved me. It was a shock, I didn't expect him to say that at that time. I didn't know how to respond, so I stood there.

She pulled the covers off of her legs and scooted towards the end of the bed to be closer to me. "I want you to be happy, Jo. And if that means being with an alien, then fine. In the short time I've known V, I know that he wouldn't want to disappoint you and that he loves you too."

   "But, I can't go after him. They probably already left earth. Plus, if we do get together... How would we live? Who wants to live with a group of aliens and the government on your tail 24/7? I don't want to live like that."

   "When you're ready, I'm sure you'll go looking for him." She slid out of bed and out of the room.

I sat on the end of the bed and let her words process in my mind.