:4:

what to listen to while reading this chapter:
"elastic heart" -sia

•~•

"because," i snarled. "i can do this."

i wrapped my hands around the spear and twisted, bending her arm back. she yelled in agony and struggled, but i snapped the spear in half. in my spare time back in the society, i would go to the recreation center and practice fighting and build muscles and stuff like that. i never really thought that i'd use it one day. but here i was.

the girl with the broken spear looked at it, and then looked at me in amazement. "how?--"

i stood up and put my shoulders back, trying to seem dominant over her. we shot ice picks out of our eyes at each other until an unknown someone interfered. i tumbled to the ground again. im falling a lot today, aren't i? i got up, groaning.

it was aidan.

"stop it, blair!" he was about to scold her, but then he saw me and his eyes widened to the size of dinner plates. "you."

"you." i retaliated, getting back up. "what'd you push me over for?"

"sorry." he smiled apologetically. "and i also apologize on her behalf. its not polite to attack everyone who passes by." he glared at the girl but helped her up.

"attack first, ask questions later." she shrugged, and then glanced at me suspiciously. "who are you, and what are you doing at my camp?"

camp? she was right. around us was a small tent with supplies scattered around it. it wasn't very concealed. i could help them. i scolded myself. i knew not to trust random people. last time i did, it got me almost killed. i should thank sean for that later, i guess.

"our camp." sean walked up behind me, and tossed the girl a backpack. "she's with me. us, i mean."

the girl glared at me. "fine. im blair. blair oberfield."

"delilah haywood." i said. "but call me lila. if you call me delilah, i will rip your arms off and stuff them down your throat until you choke on your own blood."

she snarled, starting towards me. "i'd love to see you try."

i raised my arm to slap her, but aidan caught it. i glared at him and he released my arm immediately.

"you're easily intimidated." i mused at him. "ill remember that."

"hey!" sean said, capturing all of our attention. "if you guys want to fool around and act like five year olds, get the hell out right now. because messing around makes you stupid, and stupid gets you killed. ive seen it before."

i looked down, not in shame but because i couldn't bear the uncomfortableness of meeting his eyes. i wondered about who he'd seen die because of stupidity before. but wait, not only has he seen it, but killed people before. innocent boys and girls he'd just shot like it was nothing. he's different now. i reminded myself. but how do i really know that?

"can you guys just all shut up?" aidan said. "we need a plan. we barely have enough suppiles to last us a few weeks. we have no idea what we're doing. we have no idea where we're going."