Chapter 7

His warm lips move effortlessly against my own. I try to comprehend what is happening but right now all I can focus on is his hands resting gently on my waist and the smile tugging at my lips.

He pulls away first, a look of confusion covering his face.

"Is everything okay?" I ask timidly, slightly afraid of the answer. "Did I do something wrong?"

"What? No, of course not! I just...well...I didn't really think that you would kiss me back, that kind of caught me off guard - in the best way possible of course." He mutters, his cheeks turning a slight shade of red.

"Well...if it's any compensation, I didn't exactly expect you to kiss me either. Also, I definitely didn't expect you to...confess your love for me?"

"Oh...yeah...about that. I don't want to rush things, but I didn't really know how else to express what I was feeling - what I am feeling - I'm not really very good with words.

"I know." I reply with an understanding smile. "And I have to admit that as much as I have tried to avoid it, I think I'm falling in love with you too Luke."

"Think?" He asks with a smirk.

"Hey! Don't get cocky!" I say. He just laughs and I feel almost...happy.

"Ellie. I don't know how to put this without sounding lame. Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Definitely not like that...but of course." I say and I can't help but smile.

"You won't regret this, I promise."

"I hope so. Hey...um...you should probably know that I've never had a boyfriend before."

"Well - as much as I find that ridiculously hard to believe - it is an absolute honour be your first boyfriend."

As he says this, he leans forward once again and presses his lips to my own. When we both pull away I look up at him and something hits me.

"Are you okay?" Luke asks, noticing my expression.

"Yes." I reply, and for the first time in years, I genuinely mean it.

"Good, I'm glad." He says, and I know that he understands the significance of such a simple question. "Now do you want to come and meet the rest of the band?"

He takes my hand and leads the way, but I stop him before we make it more than a metre.

"Wait, I have to tell you something. Do you remember how you told me in your letter that music was your distraction, and you hoped that I would eventually find a distraction of my own?"

"Of course." He replies, his expression intrigued.

"Well, I've found it." I state simply.

"Really? What is it?" He asks with a smile.

"You."