Chapter 5

I park my car and open the door, only to be met with an insane cacophony of laughter, screaming and crying. And I'm not even close to the venue.

I begin to regret wearing heels as I walk the rest of the way to my destination. I should have left earlier - that way I could have gotten a park much closer - but I lost track of time. I must have read Luke's letter at least fifty times over the past couple of hours.

When I reach the back entrance of the venue, I am greeted by a young security guard.

"Hi." I say with a smile. "I'm -"

"Ellie." He finishes for me.

"Yeah, how did you -" I start before I am cut off. Again.

"He said you were beautiful." He amiles and I feel my cheecks redden at his statement.

"Come with me, I'll take you to the side of the stage. 5 Seconds of Summer have only been playing for about ten minutes, you haven't missed much."

I follow him through the door and backstage. The music gets louder and louder the closer we get to the stage. They sound incredible - I have always been a fan of their music. Suddenly I find myself standing in the wings of the stage, able to clearly see Luke and the rest of the band. I am hidden from most of the audience but the boys would probably see me if they looked this way.

Just as the song comes to an end, Luke looks my way and his eyes widen when he sees me. I don't know what to do so I just give him a small smile in return before looking down at my feet.

"You guys are so loud, I love your energy!" Michael yells and is met with a roar from the crowd.

"Next we're going to sing -" Calum begins before he is cut of by Luke.

"A cover of one of my favourite songs."

Calum looks confused by his words and Michael gives him  a look as if to say "What the hell?"

He reassures them both with a nod before continuing.

"I know that it isn't on the set list but this song really means a lot to me, especially right now, and I would really like to share it with you all - if that's okay?"

Cheers echo throughout the audience, indicating that Luke's song addition is more than welcome.

"Okay great. So, this song is about not showing people your true self because you're afraid of what they might think. It's about hiding who you really are behind a facade so that you don't get hurt. It's about wishing that there was just one person who you could show your true self to." He is looking directly at me as he says every word and I find myself unable to stop the tears that start to form.

The audience has gone silent as they try to make sense of his words, but no one would understand - except me.

"This is dedicated to the first person I ever opened up to."

Without another word, he plays the first chords of the song. As he sings the first line Ashton begins to accompany him with a steady drum beat. By the chorus, Calum and Michael are both playing alongside him as well.

I stand there speechless.

 ...

Song: 'Iris' by The Goo Goo Dolls

And I'd give up forever to touch you

'Cause I know that you feel me somehow

You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be

And I don't wanna go home right now

And all I can taste is this moment

And all I can breathe is your life

When sooner or later it's over

I just don't wanna miss you tonight

And I don't want the world to see me

'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

When everything's made to be broken

I just want you to know who I am

And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming

Or the moment of truth in your lies

When everything feels like the movies

Yeah, you bleed just to know you're alive

And I don't want the world to see me

'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

When everything's made to be broken

I just want you to know who I am

And I don't want the world to see me

'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

When everything's made to be broken

I just want you to know who I am

And I don't want the world to see me

'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

When everything's made to be broken

I just want you to know who I am

...

As soon as the song finishes, I find myself walking backwards and away from the stage. I leave through the back door, the darkness of the night providing me with its usual comfort.

"Ellie!" I hear Luke yell from behind me, but I don't stop.

He runs to catch up with me, grabbing my arm and spinning me around to face him. I force myself to ignore the spark that erupts from his touch.

Still panting from running, he looks directly into my eyes before speaking again.

"I've already let you...run away from me...once...I couldn't let you leave...again...without following you." He says in between breaths.

"What are you doing Luke? You have fans in there waiting for you." I say sharply, avoiding his gaze by looking just behind him.

"I don't care! I couldn't risk never seeing you again."