Chapter 11

Autumn POV.

When you're in a mental institution you grow accustom to the constant mix up of people. This is why I didn't immediately turn around when I heard a little girl repeating the name Cassidy. I could hear her very clearly but I was too distracted with the work in front of me that I payed no attention to the tiny voice slowly approaching.

"Cassidy!" My arm was flicked by tiny fingers as the little girl behind me shouted the name. I turned myself around seeing as this little girl was clearly calling for my attention. As soon as I turned I could see the instant fear in the girls eyes once she realized that I wasn't who she thought I was. Her action of quickly backing away from me made me feel a little hurt. It's not like I'm a threatening person.

I crouched down so I was more at her height and quickly assessed her. She was the cutest ginger child I've ever seen; with her hazel eyes piercing through my blue ones. The frightened expression that she still wore on her face made her just the tiniest bit cuter. She looked to be only about seven, way too young to be in a place like this. 

"I'm not going to bite you" I decide to speak with a convincing smile. I'm pretty sure I sound as convincing as a creep holding candy out to a child. Her eyes dash around the room as if she's looking for someone to give her the thumbs up that it's okay.

"I-I'm sorry about the mix up of names" She stutters and then quickly closes her eyes as I reach out to tuck a loose piece of hair behind her ear. Her sudden movement proves that she was expecting me to hit her. My thoughts gather a prediction of the girls past, and possibly present, life. The idea of a child so young expecting such an outcome leaves my stomach weak.

"Calm down" I sooth and move just a bit closer to her. I could hear the constant commotion going on around us but I had my undivided attention on this girl. She seemed so much more vulnerable than the other kids around here. Everyone looked just as confused and home sick as any other child that's been locked away, but this little girl lacked the small bit of confidence everyone else had. Just like me as a child; it took a while to be the sarcastic and confident bitch I am today.

"Hey do you like balloons?" I questioned once I see Finn walking past us. He was still dressed in his clown outfit and was noticeably tired. The kids were constantly tackling him for attention. He seemed to act more sane near children. It was as if children were his antidote to this place because I have never seen him act so civil.

The little girl eagerly nodded her head as she tried to decipher what my inquiry was for. Her eyes had grown wide just with the pronunciation of such an object. I found myself in a love hate relationship with being around these children.  I hate it for the only reason that I remember how lonely and upsetting it was being encaged in a building like this. But I love it only for the fact that for these few hours I'm around them I can somehow give them a little bit of happiness.

"Finn" I call to the fumbling character that desperately wants to retire. His head whirls around almost too quickly in attempt to spot me and this girl. I hear his big sigh before he makes his way towards us; imitating a big smile for the reassurance of the little girl. The pile of linen clothes I was supposed to be folding and moving to the holding place was unattended. I was too mesmerized with the little girl as she watched Finn blow up a balloon animal in amazement. 

It wasn't anything super extravagant but considering the shine in her eyes as she excepted the gift I could assume it was perfect enough. I stood up to continue folding clothes and the little girl followed almost eagerly. Her little hands clutched tight onto the balloon animal as her miniature feet scrambled to follow after me. 

I picked up a piece of clothing before turning to look at her; an innocence held in her eyes. She stood directly in front of me fumbling to say something useful.