Chapter 4

Autumn POV.

Too soon I am once again trapped in my accustomed room. White walls enclose around me, eerily plain and isolating. My stomach let's out a grumble and I internally kick myself for being thrown out of the lunch room before I ate my meal.

I walk towards my rusty bed, disgusted at it's uncleanliness. The sheets are washed about once every two months - which for me is not reasonable. Although the state of the bed disgusts me, I find myself lying down on the hard mattress.

The lack of noise in the hallway reminds me that I'm alone again, truly deserted. I grip my pillow as if it were a comforting companion. My deep rooted feelings of isolation clutching at my mind. Being here, I have learned that loneliness is a trademark symptom captured within these confined walls. 

It still surprises me that my mind hasn't been jumbled about and lost throughout the years. There have been times where I felt myself slipping, becoming overcome by the walls of this institution; and it is the hardest thing trying to recover from that feeling. You get the sense of being lost and you almost forget why or when you came here. All you know is that you're looked upon as if you're insane; and there is a part of your brain that wonders if you actually are.

The thought has crossed my mind many times, a repetitive question as to whether I have lost my mind or not. I like to think that I haven't and that I'm the same as everyone on the outside. Surely, as a child I couldn't have been messed up like they assumed. My mind was fresh; ready to learn and become someone big someday. Only, instead of learning math I learned how taking extra food results in five lashes, or how crying is seen as a sign of weakness.

I close my eyes, trying to remember the easier times; when I could run freely in my front yard and smile at people as they passed on the street. Although I try, my best memories as a child are little and I can't get myself to focus on them for too long.

I hate this asylum with everything I have. It has enclosed me for too long, stripping me of my right mind and replacing it with a messed up one. 

"Autumn" A strong voice speaks my name. I turn my head to the door, noticing my newest favourite employee, Bill. His gentle eyes are soft as he opens the door to my cell. I swing my legs off of the bed before standing to my feet in a lazy fashion. 

"Where are we going?" I question, curious as to why I am being led out of my room. As Bill closes my door behind us he joins my side and gently takes hold of my arm.

"The new warden wants photos of the patients" Bill's answer holds an unknowing tone to it. Why would the warden want photos of us? 

"I don't understand it either. Don't say I said this but I really don't like her, I'm sure you feel the same" Bill chuckles, probably remembering my outburst at lunch. 

"I loath her" I roll the words out, a short smile obtained on my face. I hear a few voices in the distance ahead of us. Mainly guards shouting demands at patients that are yet to be in our line of vision. I feel uncomfortable with the amount of force they use on everyone, it makes me feel weak and little; a reminder of how I am powerless here. 

I am led into the next room, a jumble of patients placed inside waiting to be assisted. Their eyes wandering the walls as they question the reasoning for their grouping. 

Although most of the patients here might actually be insane, I feel comforted by them. I feel more at home with them than I do with my own family - mainly since they seem to actually care in their own weird way. The patients  here all somehow stick together through everything.

"In here" Bill guides me, bringing me through another door into a closed room. I look around the unfamiliar area. The new surroundings spark my excitement, like receiving a present as a child. The walls are a plain brown, different from any other room that consists of strictly white wall paper.