Chapter 9

"How'd you manage to escape our confession circle today?" I keep my eyes focused on the setting sun that slowly slips behind a distanced mountain. After I had hugged Harry things had been silent and extremely awkward - I suppose the action had just caught both of us off guard. Seeing as the two of us know nothing about each other, it is quite weird committing an action that is intended for the best of friends. 

"My guards. They're pretty cool actually" Harry answers nonchalantly without giving an explanation. I can tell he is trying to process the fact that I had hugged him so urgently - I, myself, am still trying to figure out why I had done so. 

"They just let you skip?" I ask, feeling as though we were the two rebel kids from school skipping the day and discussing how we managed to do so. I never went to high school, but I suspect this is what it would feel like to be the trouble maker kids that all teachers despise. 

"Well sort of. I offered them each a smoke and they're acting as if we're friends now or something, it's weird actually" Harry knits his eyebrows together with so much concentration as he thinks. 

"You smoke?" I ask in the most curious way. Not once have I seen Harry light one or even be in possession of a cigarette.

"No actually. I found a pack of them lying on the ground near my room so I took it and sneak a smoke to my guards whenever they ask for one" He chuckles as if remembering the exact memory. I have a jealousy towards the leniency of his guards- I have two stuck up men that believe they're better than everyone. 

Except Bill, his intentions were clear - he was not one to go shoving someone randomly up against a wall for walking out of line. If Bill could be my everyday full time guard I think the walks through the asylum walls would be more pleasant. Instead, I'm stuck with the guards that make me walk in a perfectly straight line and make sure I don't talk out of turn.

"How long have we been here?" I turn my eyes away from the scenery that outlined the window. Harry gave me a shrug of his shoulders - and for some strange reason I imagined him without his outrageous asylum outfit designed for every male in this institution. I could imagine the way a T-shirt would cling to his chest, revealing only a bit of the muscles toned beneath the fabric. His arms decorated with strength that his biceps would display. The way he would look with jean pants that would cling loosely around his abdomen. 

The image is shaken from my mind before I can stare at him for too long. Harry was definitely an attractive individual - an attractive individual confined in the walls of this institution for some unknown reason. He could be a psycho killer who disguises himself with his over powering looks. Too many possibilities soak up my mind like a sponge in the shower. My brain becomes so distracted with the ideas of how this stranger could have been locked up that I don't realize his eyes traveling over me. 

I concentrate on his face when I notice his body removing the space between us, one step closer to me than he was before. I hadn't realized how silent everything had become with my distracted mind. Harry's slow steps were hesitant, that small spark of confidence still striding within him, his cautiousness leading him. I only watched in silence as his body sauntered in small movement towards me. His long legs causing him to reach me quicker than I expected. Once again his height has an over powering effect, my head tilting up to watch his eyes. 

"You're real hot when you observe me, you know?" His voice lowers, giving off a whispering tone that causes me to shiver. The heat from his breathe fans over me like a comforting wind. "And that dress on you..." His bottom lip is pulled between his teeth with his observant words.

I was completely at a disadvantage here. My mind is too full to understand what is happening. His large hands grasp my hips and urge me closer. My mind was racing with the quick turn of his attitude. Our chests touch every time one of us inhales, the limited distance between us making me weak. The friend like adventure we were having was turning into an experience I've never had before - I don't do well in close proximity with guys.