The Love Oath

Chapter 34

The sparkling snow shined beneath my feet. I wrapped my coat around me tighter. It was around noon and it had been one day since I've last seen Hansel. I still don't understand why I kissed him but I don't regret it because for once, I felt like things were perfect once again. I sighed and continued walking down the hill to my little cottage. My black boots stepped on the clear white snow. I looked down at my feet as I walked.

I was so stupid in believing that I can live without Hansel. I miss his warmth, the sense of protection he always gave me when we were together. I miss his cockiness and his stubbornness. I missed his arms around me as he whispered sweet nothings into my ear.

Maybe the way we did things wasn't right. But it is something I would gladly repeat if it meant I would still carry the baby inside my womb. My baby is one lucky person to have such a wonderful dad like Hansel, and I hoped with every nerve in my being that he would come out just like him.

The cold wind blew across my face and my hair covered my eyes. I put my hair behind my ears.

"I was beginning to worry I came to the wrong cottage," a male voice said. I snapped my eyes up and my heart skipped a beat as I saw him.

He was wearing a grey coat and black jeans. His hair was windswept and his sparkling green eyes stared at me with so many hidden emotions.

"Hansel," I breathed, "What are you doing here?"

Hansel was standing right next to my cottage and I finished taking the last few steps so I was in front of him.

"I thought about what you said, and I realized something. I realized that if the only way I could be with you is if I follow you to a cottage in the middle of nowhere, then so be it. As long as I'm with you, I will follow you 'til the end of the world and even further.

Maybe I went at things the wrong way. I should've taken you out on a couple of dates before I slid a ring on your finger. I should've given you the wedding you deserved but I was selfish. I was scared that I will wake up the next day and realize that my dream girl is nothing more than that, a dream. I saw the opportunity to tie you down and I ceased it, yes I thought you were sober but deep down inside I kept wishing you weren't so you couldn't change your mind and run before you realized what you were getting yourself into.

The day after I met you, and I saw your car speed down the driveway, I knew I had to search for you. And when I found out that same day that you worked for the SSS, heck I was so happy because maybe I wouldn't have to track you down. My original mission was to make sure the Romero case was running smoothly under the facade that I was helping train the SSS but when I saw you enter your father's office, my mission changed. I thought to myself: I gotta get this woman to fall in love with me. And I thought I was getting there until you told me how I was the first man you gave yourself to. Heck I was so happy to be your first and hopefully your last but then you told me you didn't remember a thing. I knew I messed up.

You spent most of your time with Romero and I knew I had to woo you one way or another, so I went undercover as well. Just to spend more time with you. But it only made things worse so then I tried to take you out for your birthday. It was going good until you got shot by my enemies. That's when I realized how if you stay with me, I will always be putting your life in danger. So I tried to stay away, I tried so damn hard, but I couldn't. I was too selfish.

I had to give it one last try but you kept pushing me away. I felt like every time I gained one step forward I was actually taking two steps back! It was fucking frustrating! I knew I had to resign but I couldn't! I just... couldn't.

And then I see you walking down the altar, and I thought: damn, she's beautiful. Then I started to imagine how nice it would've been if I would've actually went at things the right way, you could have been walking down the aisle to marry me in front of all of Prima Lucé so everyone could see that you are mine and only mine. Watching you walk down that aisle was like a dream come true, I felt like this was it. This is it, I'm finally going to be able to marry her the right way. Then my dream becomes a nightmare and Anthony blocks you from my view! You were marrying him! I wasn't about to let you marry someone else!