Price

Chapter 22

"You have no idea how worried I was," Romero mumbled as he squeezed my hand.

We were in a black truck heading to who knows where. Romero demanded his other men to drive on ahead because he wanted to drive with me alone. Something along the lines of "catching lost time."

"I could only imagine," I replied and looked out my window.

"I woke up the next morning and you weren't next to me like usual. There was a note written in the mirror and I got worked up. I was searching for you in the hallways when I began to see a numerous amount of dead bodies," Romero growled out.

"That's when I realized what had opened. I tried to catch a scent but there wasn't any," he said catching my attention.

"No scent?" I asked, incredulous. Romero glanced at me momentarily before facing the driveway again.

"None, not even yours. I searched throughout the neighboring woods to see if there was any trace of your scent but it was like you had disappeared," Romero stopped the car and looked at me.

No scent? That's impossible unless... Yeah, I'm pretty sure Hansel hid our scents completely. Hansel... My heart clenched at the thought that I will never be with him. Romero pulled me out if my reverie.

"What happened? How was it that she managed to take you while I was right next to you?" he asked me. I stared him in the eye.

"I heard a melodic voice down the hall, it was calling me. I followed it as if I were in a trance, and right when I stepped out into the hall... Everything became black," I whispered. Romero frowned.

"Why didn't you wake me up? You should've woken me up!" Romero yelled at me and gripped my arms. I gasped and made my eyes water.

"I know I should have! But I couldn't find it in me to do it! I was in a trance! I wasn't thinking, I coul-dn't," I began sobbing. Romero's eyes softened, he pulled me to his chest.

"I woke up and I just remember pain... I would try to-to get a glance at h-er but my eyes would be blurry from my tea-rs," I choked out.

Romero kissed the top of my head. "It's alright, honey. Your with me, and I will keep you safe. Just promise me one thing," Romero said, gravely. I nodded.

"Anything."

"Never leave Treviño's side. He vowed to protect you until his last dying breath," Romero replied. I held in a growl. I don't need any protection, especially not from Hansel, but Romero doesn't know that.

"Alright but aren't I breaking that promise right now?" I breathed out.

Romero arched his eyebrow at me, "What do you mean?"

"I'm not with Treviño right now," I said. The double meaning in my words hitting me like a train. I worked quickly to recompose myself before Romero noticed.

Romero began laughing. Yeah, he definitely lost it. He suddenly cupped my cheeks and pecked my lips.

"10 yards behind us there is a black truck. And can you guess who's in the car?" Romero spoke as if he were talking to a five year old. I held in a growl.

"Treviño?" I feigned confusion.

"Exactly," he confirmed. I looked into the rear view mirror and sure enough a black truck was there. Hmm, go figure.

Romero started the engine again and continued driving. We were currently in a two lane road in the middle of the woods.

"Where are we going?" I asked him.