29: Stay, Will You?

Author's POV

"Sean," Kaycee called out. It's time. The boy smiled at her, he loves it when she says his name. "I have something to tell you." His smile slowly faltered as he gave her a questioning look.

Kaycee took a deep breath. She clenches her fists tightly until her nails dig into the palm of her hand but she barely notice it. The only thing she's aware of the is the sound of her heart throbbing against the cage of her chest.

"Kayc?" Concern was etched all over Sean's face. He reached for her face but she flinched at the touch. "Hey, is there's something wrong?"

"Sean," She began. "The thing is... we're moving in to New York." There, she said it.

"When?" He said in a hoarse voice.

"Next week." Kaycee replied and all the color on his face was drained. "I... I'm going on tour with Tricia and it'll probably last for a year." Sean remained silent, his expression was unreadable. "I– I'm also going to take up my studies there so... so it's possible that we're n–not going b–back here."

Silence.

Sean doesn't know what to say or how to react. Is this why she's being clingy these past few days? Her words are still processing on his mind. He blinked a few times, maybe all of this is just some stupid dream.

"Sean?" Kaycee called out and at once, he knew that indeed everything was real. He looked at her and saw that her eyes became glassy. "Sean, I–"

"That's... great! I– I'm so proud of you, Kayc." Sean managed to say in a hoarse voice. His words have made Kaycee taken aback. He tried to smile though his lower lip quiver. "I know you'd make it this far."

Kaycee stood gaping at him. She knows him too well. He's pretending and she hates it. She doesn't want him to bottle up his anger. I know he's mad at me, I know it but why can't he just show it? Of course, he doesn't want to hurt you, silly.

"Sean, please don't be like this." Kaycee reached out for his hand and held it, ignoring how he backed away a little. "Please, I need to know what you're feeling."

"I told you, I'm happy for you." Sean closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "I... I could visit you there, you know? We could face time each other everyday a–and maybe I'll take up my studies there too, you know what, I'll talk to my mom about it besides–"

"Sean!" Kaycee cut him off. "I– I can't do this anymore."

"What?" Sean looked at her incredulously. Maybe I heard it wrong. "Kayc, what do you mean?"

"I'm breaking up with you, Sean." Sean stood gaping at her. His eyes became glazed with a layer of tears and Kaycee looked away, not wanting to see the painful sight. "It's gonna end up like this, anyway. Yes, we could FaceTime each other everyday, you could visit me once or twice a month, you could follow me there but Sean, we both know that it's not gonna work. And it's not just because I'm moving out but because we're... still young a–and career should be our top priority!" Tears slid down her cheeks. "Last month, you told me that there's going to be another Step Up movie and they want you to play one of the main characters. See? You and I are going to make it big in this industry!"

"So? I don't care!" Sean said firmly, his face was wet with tears. "I know it's gonna be hard b–but we could try! Kayc, I'll do everything to keep this relationship just... just don't give up yet. Please, Kaycee I love you! I love you–" His voice cracked and he pulled her into a tight hug, sobbing on her shoulders.

"Sean, I–" Kaycee tried to pull away but his grip remained tight around her. She looked up at the sky as she tried to keep her tears from spilling further more. "Sean, please, don't make this too hard for me." It took her every ounce of strength to free herself from his grasp. They looked at each other, both faces were stained with tears.

"Stay. Kaycee, please." Sean reached out for her hand, his voice was trembling. "I need you more than you think." Kaycee looked away, she couldn't bear it. "Please, Kaycee, just s–stay with me."

Then Sean did the unexpected. He went down on his knees, sobbing. Kaycee quickly grabbed his hands to pull him up but he wouldn't budge. Instead, he dragged her down with him and hugged her. His shoulders were shaking.

"I need you, Kaycee." He sobbed. "I fucking need you."

A/N:

...

I'M GOING TO HELL FOR WRITING THIS YA'LL I FUCKING HATE MYSELF. I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL RIGHT NOW AHHH OK BYE IMMA CRI FIRST. (Ya'll I know this is a heartbreaking chapter but still, vote for it. 😂)