24: It's Beautiful

Start from the beginning

The aroma of the drink shrouded the air around them.

Then Lucy's face turned unhappy. Her smile faded into a straight line.

"I'm sorry I fainted on you," she sounded guiltily. Her brown eyes were deeply apologetic.

Natsu shook his head.

She didn't have to blame herself for what happened.

Really, she didn't.

"It wasn't your fault...It was never your fault," his voice was steady.

He already convinced himself that it was all because of him. And he was striving to keep it that way.

"I got you concerned again," Lucy murmured.

He couldn't stop his hands from reaching out to her. He held her smooth right hand and enclosed it with his firm ones.

"Nonsense. Don't worry about me," he gave her a reassuring smile, "Worry more about yourself."

Not planning to argue, she decided to just agree with him. Her lined lips curved back into a smile.

"Alright. It was just a headache anyway," Lucy spoke dismissively.

What she had no knowledge of was the fact that it was no ordinary headache.

It was the poison itself spreading all over her body, coursing through her veins and dancing with her blood.

It was now sharing her energy without her consent. Like a parasite.

And he was fully aware of that.

Natsu looked at her earnestly.

He knew that the right thing to do was to tell her. If not about the poison, then at least about their child.

But he couldn't find the right words to tell her about it, about Lucas' future sibling.

He didn't want Lucy to end up feeling the kind of emotion he was already carrying within him.

He didn't want to add up to the suffering she was already going through.

"Baby, can I ask you something?"

"Anything," she answered meekly.

"What if..." Natsu paused for a moment, trying to make out the words.

His grasp on her hand tightened.

"What IF we were blessed with another child?" his voice sounded quiet, "What would you feel if you found out you were pregnant?"

Understanding his question and finding it somehow unnecessary, Lucy let out a soft laugh.

"Honey, why would you even ask me that?"

He just stared at her, waiting.

She took her gaze away from his eyes and stared at the high ceiling, taking a breath of the air.

She was smiling. A lovely smile it was.

"Of course, I'd be the happiest woman in the world. Nothing can compare to that feeling."

Then it was quiet.

Natsu kept his eyes on her face until she turned back to look at him.

"Nothing can compare to the wonderful feeling of carrying your precious treasure, Natsu. Your own flesh and blood."

Seeing the content look on her face, he had no words to say and could only tighten his hold more.

"And you?" She suddenly asked, sensing his silence.