2: Anew Enmity

A thick coat of awkward laced the air, as Mr.Kallas, and I gave each other the 'stare down'. Neither of us avoided the others gaze, both to obstinate, and persistent to look away. I wasn't intimidated the slightest bit by Mr. Pompous and his lavishly extravagant office. Luxurious couldn't possibly be used to delineate this place. Having the most mind-blowing view of the city, along with owning a successful law firm, the insolence probably comes with the job.

"Gabrielle, is it?" He continued with the scrutiny, raising his eyebrows questioningly.

Manufacturing a smile, I curtly replied, "Ms. Augustine."

He shook his head lightly, chuckling lowly. "No need for formalities." I stifled a groan and nodded my head.

Cunning as well as, disrespectful, I took mental note.

"It says here, that you graduated high school, as Valedictorian, at the age of sixteen. I'm impressed, amazed, actually."

He glanced up at me from the paper he held in his hand, my résumé, I presume. 'Amazed'? I thought to myself. Do I look incapable? Maybe to him. I managed a genuine smile, but still didn't speak. He gently stroke the thin line of stubble that lined his jaw.

"Your cover letter, was rather persuasive. You're interested in the Litigation Paralegal position, right? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong," he said placing the papers down, giving me his undivided attention.

"You read correctly," I assured him.

"Why do you want to be a paralegal? Are you planning to apply to law school?" He questioned.

I released a breath, realizing this is actually happening.

"Well, I think it's a splendid idea as far as, experience in the office, as paralegals basically do the same work as lawyers. One of many differences, the lawyer is qualified to give the legal advice, instead of the paralegal. And as for law school, I attend Fordham University School of Law, on a scholarship." I don't know what I said but, he smiled at me, enough to surface dimples.

"Someone's done their research," he applauded.

Of all things, I blushed. "Well, let's just say I really want this job."

"Is that so?" His tone was that of amusement.

I don't know if I should be offended or not. I assumed he caught on when I didn't reply, he proceeded on to the following questions.

"Do you prefer working on your own or as part of a team?" He seemed interested in this particular question, he leaned forward a bit and kept a steady gaze.

"Let's just put it like this Mr. Kallas-"

He rudely interrupted me making a deprecating tsk-tsk sound. "It's Adonis to you, love."

My mouth threatened to drop. What has happened to 'Strictly Business', Has our generation kicked out fundamental principles, shouting "out with the old, in with the new"?

I'm in desperate need of an explanation. I was indeed, stunned, if not appalled, at the "suggestion" that held such a flirty connotation. Apparently it showed.

"Gabrielle, as you were saying," he encouraged me to continue. I got ahold of my head, pulling myself together.

"Right, I'm sorry," I apologized sheepishly.

"Well, Adonis," I started, and he nodded approvingly.

"I don't like to be weighed down, and If I feel like a partner or a team is not working for the same causes as myself, then I don't feel a need for them to be working with me, period. But if having a 'partner', if you will, benefits me, then by all means I have no problem with it."