Part 9

Death looked as her as he removed his mask. She could see a shimmer of concern in his eyes and knew it was for her. She placed a hand on his arm and nodded as a way to show that she was fine.

"Let's go then." Death said not letting go of her waist.

The reaper left and Death Pulled Compass closer as they walked away towards the north wing. She followed his lead. She was surprised that he could hold her so close and walk that fast, granted he was pretty much carrying her.

Once they arrived Death released his hold on her and she looked around to see many faces. Death looked at every person in the room with a faceless expression. Compass stood not far from him because all eyes were on her. Death turned to her and handed her his mask.

"Keep your mask on. They don't know who you are and I don't trust them around you." He whispered and she looked back at the body.

"Is this the soul you heard?" Death asked her and she quickly replied "Yes it is."

Many hushed whispered and muttering flying around the room. Compass remained in her own personal space while Death checked the body. The body was covered by a black cloak and it looked to be about the size of a man.

"Everyone out of the room!" Death ordered and everyone scurried out the door.

Compass was about to leave as well when Death said "Banshee you stay."

She knew he was talking to her. She could feel it all over her skin when he spoke. It was a pull they've had since the very beginning. Compass kept her hands still and from playing with her ring as she held his mask.

"Thomas, when was the last time anyone heard from William?" Death asked the reaper she has spoken to many times.

"It has been some time now, 6 weeks I believe." The reaper named Thomas answered.

Compass walked closer and could see a burn mark coming from the dead reaper's neck. She didn't know what to make of it so she kneeled down and pulled back the cloak.

"Phoe-Death, what is this?" She asked after she corrected herself.

Compass has grown used to calling Death by his birth name. She had to be careful when and where she spoke his name, especially who she said it around. Death looked at her and she turned red. She knew he was going to reprimand her later for that slip up. Thomas looked at her and grinned widely then looked back at Death and she could see his eyes twinkle.

"She knows your birth name. Clearly she is special to you." Thomas murmured to Death.

"We shall speak about this later Thomas."

Compass looked between the two men in front of her. Something was clearly going on and she didn't know anything about it. She was going to say something but death clenched his jaw and she could see something was wrong.

"The Spartina. They killed William, this is their mark. Thomas I need you to send word to all the reapers and have them on high alert. Someone is targeting us and I think I know why." He commanded then looked at her.

Thomas bowed then took William's body. A grey ball of light was pulled from the body. Compass figured it was the soul, but to actually see one was new. She stood and walked towards the small light. She wanted to touch it but was wary of so.

"It's okay to touch it. It won't harm you." Death said as he stood back to watch her.

He watched as the soul twirled around her fingers. It was playing with her and she seemed to enjoy it. A small laugh came from her which had death looking at her face. She gasped then quickly pulled back her hand.

"It said thank you." Compass said as a pulse subsided in her hand.

"Most of them don't talk." He said as he reached out for the soul and absorbed it through his hand.

Compass didn't know what to do or say to Death. She began to walk away and back to the party. As she passed him, she handed him his mask and watched him out in back on. She got as far as the doorway.

"Compass wait, I-"

"No more secrets Phoenix, I'm serious." She finally said.

"There is too much that you can't know. It's too dangerous." He vaguely said to her.

"Well I wouldn't know that but clearly others know of things that you won't tell me. I'm sick and tired of all the secrets. They don't do any good."

"You need to let this go. I will tell you when I think you need to know."

"Here we go again. Don't you understand I know how to take care of myself. Stop treating me like I could disappear at any moment." She said as she walked out into the hallway.

He followed her quickly after as she crossed her arms. He was making her frustrated and it wasn't fair. They are supposed to be partners, equals even but he won't allow it. He has to be the one above others. Always coming first and never waiting for others.

"It's not the fact of you being capable of taking care of yourself, I know you care. This deal is bigger than you know. I asked you if you wanted me to stay. I even told you I would disappear, it was your decision. I left it to you." He said as she tried to fix her mask.

"Oh really, because you're the one that still won't tell me why you stayed. Why did you even pick me? There are so many other banshees you could've picked. I want the truth Phoenix." She demanded when she threw her mask at him.

He yanked his mask off tossing it on the floor. He was frustrated and she wasn't making things easy.

"Damn it Compass just let it go."

"No! I need to know. Just tell me. Tell me the truth."

He walked up to her and grabbed her face. She was fearless, nothing shook her. She is and will always be the most attractive thing in the world to him.

"If I tell you, things will change. If someone else finds out I lose, I could lose everything. I could even lose you."

She didn't understand. Part of her thought she knew, but her mind didn't want to understand. She searched his face and he was completely vulnerable. She gripped the railing harder, feeling the sting in her knuckles.

"Why?" She asked with a racing heart.

He leaned forward, looked into her eyes and pressed his lips to hers. She released the railing and push him away. 

—————————————————————————————————————————————

I hoped you all enjoyed. Don't forget you can comment, vote, or share if you wish.

- Jenn