Part 8

Once Compass arrived to the gothic Victorian style mansion, she felt as if time stopped. People, more like creatures that she didn't know flooded the grand red oak doors. They all wore masks and greeted each other, it was almost like a family reunion.

"Let's go inside my little grey riding hood." Stella spoke as she looped her arm with Compass.

Compass hesitated but smiled at her friend's curiosity. Stella was a brave and bold soul. She wore a fading grey to black strapless gown with a see through black cape and a white mask filled with stars. Compass looked depressed compared to Stella. Compass was dressed in a deep v neck black gown that revealed a split for each leg. She kept warm with the grey hooded cloak around her shoulders. Compass made sure her mask was tied tightly and walked through the threshold to the ball.

Compass was introduced to many people that Stella has met over the years. Stella has a good 72 years on Compass, but never looked the age. Clearly benefits of being an angle whether they are fallen or not.

"Madame, are you sure you are not part mermaid?" The blonde proclaim skinned woman named Darcy asked.

"Yes I am sure. I am only a banshee." Compass answered then the red head named Nixie said "She could pass for my cousin. Surely you will swim with me sometime. I would love to stretch my tale for a few hours, it keeps my scales young."

"She'd have to do it some other time. Clearly someone has a dark admirer tonight." Xavier, the werewolf said.

The vampire named Lucas nodded towards a masked man standing on the balcony right above us. With a glass in hand, he raised it towards us then turned away. Music began to play louder and, any people began to dance around the ballroom. Compass stood back and watched the marvelous show before her. It was as though she teleported to the time before any electricity, to the 1500s maybe. Compass held her hands to her chest in awe.

"Wolf mask clearly wants your attention." Stella whispered before leaving.

Compass stood alone until the man with the wolf mask stopped before her. She looked at him from head to toe and back. He outstretched his hand for her to take, but she made no move.

"May I have this dance?" He asked in a tone that was all too familiar to her.

Compass cautiously took his hand and he led her to the other dancing bodies. The song changed and it was a more classical dance, one she didn't know.

"I'll lead you follow." He said and pulled her close.

The warmth coming from him was addictive. Her feet moved at the right time and soon she knew the dance. He didn't speak much so they danced for what felt like hours. Soon the dancing slowed to a sway and she rested her head on his left shoulder.

"I am surprised you showed up tonight princess."

"I figured it was you under that mask."

"And how is that?"

"The way your voice sounds. It's a unique sound."

"That sounds utterly ridiculous."

"Shut it. Be glad I'm being nice to you. You don't deserve it after the other night."

"You aren't going to forgive me are you?"

"Not until you tell me the truth. I want it told tonight. If you don't I'm out of this deal forever."

"Just dance with me a bit longer." He said as they continued to sway.

Compass didn't want to look at his mask anymore so she looked away. They danced a few more dances, some slow, some more moderately paced. She laughed and she smiled enjoying the night knowing it wouldn't last forever not even in her memory. She couldn't see his face but knew his eyes were completely and solely on her and her every move. She trap eaten this Halloween as a dark fairy tale that only happened in books. Knowing it was so she didn't care of what could and more than likely would happen.

"Lord, I am sorry to interrupt but you are needed in the north wing." A reaper arrived.

"It can wait." Death ordered.

"No it can't, someone just died." Compass spoke as a hollow feeling pushed through her dizziness.

—————————————————————————————————————————————
It's okay to be a bit selfish, but when a job has to be done it has to get done. Take my word for it enjoy every moment you can because you never know what could happen. 

We are half way there! What will happen next? What's going to happen with our darkly team?

Any way, I hoped you all enjoyed. Don't forget you can comment, vote, or share if you wish.

- Jenn