Part 3

Compass was enjoying some much needed quiet time with a good book. She was currently sitting at Twins Cafe and Library that was at the university campus. It was a nice saturday morning and not many people were around. She was able to get the red two person sofa that was towards the back of the cafe. The cool fall air was filled with the scents of cinnamon rolls and hot chocolates. This was the perfect weather for windows to be opened and a nice fireplace.

With her hot chocolate on the coffee table and her fiction book in her lap, Compass felt at peace. No homework was needed to be done which gave her all the time in the world to read. She had her left arm on the top of the sofa and rested her head in her palm. She was completely in her own little world which gave Phoenix the opportunity to just watch her. Compass never sat still long enough for Phoenix to just sit and look at her. This was something he enjoyed doing, he never found it creepy, but others might. Phoenix always found Compass attractive, but he would never tell her. All she had to do was sit there and all his stress would vanish.

She was wearing a black off the shoulder sweater, the ones that had the soft yet comfy material. He liked how the sweater made her hair look darker than it actually does since her long curls were cascading down and onto the top of the sofa and end just past her shoulders. From what he could tell, she she was wearing a pair of the light washed skinny jeans, the ones that hug a girl's figure perfectly. To him she wasn't just a partner and a powerful banshee, she was someone he couldn't let go. He needed to hang onto her, like she was the only thing keeping him sane out of everything in this messed up world.

Phoenix noticed how a trio of boys were looking at Compass. They were watching her as if she was prey they needed to get and that didn't settle well with Phoenix. Phoenix began to quietly walk towards her from behind the red sofa. She was so engrossed with her book she didn't even notice he was there. He lightly placed the tips on his fingers on her exposed shoulder. He watched as she shivered so slightly, but she didn't leave her book. Compass kept reading as Phoenix slid his fingers further down her arm until he reached the top of her sweater. Her skin was so smooth that is was soft.

"Perfect skin for a perfect girl." He whispered to himself.

He began to play with one of her many curls and that's when she moved, but it was only to toss her hair over her left shoulder. By doing this, the rest of her shoulders were out in the open for him, even the back of her neck and top of her back. This time he ran his index finger softly down her spine causing her to shiver and her skin erupt. Phoenix noticed how she still didn't turn to look at him let alone acknowledge him.

Compass kept shivering slightly, but it wasn't out of being cold. She felt like someone was there yet she wasn't afraid nor did she try to find out who it is. She felt safe, safe enough to let them do whatever to her while she kept reading her book. She tried so many times to put the book down, but she couldn't. She needed to know if the main character was going to finally going to admit her feelings to the other main character. Compass didn't care that the female main character was just turned into an immortal, she needed to know if she would tell the male main character the truth of her feelings.

Compass felt a strong and warm hand right next to her neck. The hand was large enough for the fingertips to stop right above her collarbone and for the thumb to rub her exposed neck. Her body didn't move but it was her mind that was pulled from the book by a deep chuckle it made. She only knew one person with that chuckle but she couldn't move to see if she was right.

"I sometimes wonder where your mind goes when you read, princess." Phoenix said quietly enough for no one else to hear but her.

A smile reached her lips at hearing his voice after so many days of not seeing him. She got so much warmth just by him rubbing his thumb on her neck. She felt safe even with the angel of Death right behind her.