Part 5

Compass woke up the a few mornings later feeling like she was hit with a bus. She couldn't even get out of bed without a skull splitting headache erupting every few minutes. Her skin was covered in sweat and it was freezing yet the window was closed. Compass heard a knock on her door but didn't have the energy to answer it.

"Sweetie are you okay? You didn't come down for breakfast this morning."

"Yes nana, I'm fine. I'm just not feeling too well that's all."

Her grandmother's cool hands touched her forehead and it was as if a bag of ice cubes were released. Her grandmother frowned and sighed.

"No adventures for you today. You have a fever. Make yourself useful boy and draw her a cool bath." Grandmother Mycha ordered.

Compass slowly sat up letting the cool air wrap her. She looked towards her desk and a dark shadow transformed into a person. One person she was still mad at and did not want to speak to.

"I see she is still mad at you, good. More than likely you did or said something to piss her off." Grandmother Mycha said as she pointed towards the grey door that lead to her bathroom.

Phoenix huffed and walked into the bathroom. They could hear water running and Compass stood. Her grandmother walked to her and helped her walk, but the more Compass moved the dizzied she got. Compass made it halfway to the bathroom door before falling to her knees.

"Death be a dear and help her. I wish I was a little younger to be able to carry her like when she was little." Mycha asked as she helped Compass stand again.

Phoenix still had not uttered a word. He was by Compass' side within moments. She pushed his hands away trying to walk on her own. She tried to reach the door frame but tripped again. Arms were wrapped around her waist before she touched the ground again.

"I'm going to make you some soup and a warm cup of hot chocolate. Please listen for her in case she needs anything, but keep your eyes where they belong young man. You may be death but she's still my grand baby and I'll kick you out before you can even apologize, am I understood?" Grandmother Mycha stated to Death himself.

"Yes ma'am, you're words are crystal clear." Phoenix replied then watched her leave.

"Come on princess." He said as he wrapped one arm around Compass firmly and held the other one out.

It was tempting to have him help her especially the way she was feeling right now, but she couldn't. She had to do this on her own. She shook her head at his offer and reached for the door frame. Before she could move any further Phoenix lifted her up off the ground bridal style. Within seconds she wrapped her arms around his neck to keep from falling as her head began spinning. He brought her closer when he felt her shiver in his arms.

"You're stubborn even when you're sick." He stated as he entered the bathroom.

He sat her down at the edge of the tub so he could turn off the water. The scent of roses filled her nose as she turned to run a hand through the water. A cool hand was on her thigh and she shivered again.

"What are you doing?" She asked as she watched him remove the socks keeping her feet warm.

He stood up and walked over to the sink. She watched the muscles in his back flex and move every time he did anything. She also noticed how his black long sleeve hugged his frame perfectly. He grabbed a hair tie from her small white bowl.

"I'm tying your hair then you have to get in your bath." He said as she closed her eyes.

He slowly untangled her hair as best as he could to put it all in a bun. She enjoyed the touch of his fingers through her hair.