A Dog's Talent

Well, aside from what happened yesterday.. And all of it's embarrassment, today my Master suspected nothing. And she signed me up to be one of those hospital therapeutic dogs.. I'm excited to do it to be honest.. I get to meet people and make more friends, which is always nice.

So at first, they put us through an obedience test which includes no biting, being quiet and calm, and getting used to hospital noises like beeping and stuff. That's the easy part. I passed with flying colors.

The hard part is smelling all the death. It was everywhere.. hospitals are bad places. There's all kinds of sickness. I'm thankful it wasn't what they call a "nursing home" because it would have smelled worse.

The first patient I met was a little girl. She had no hair, from chemo, because she had cancer. I could barely smell it though, it was going away. She hugged me and kissed me and scratched me and I loved it. She reminded me of the little girl who I used to protect.. It made me miss her, but I stayed in a calm mood.. Can't get all depressed now, this kid and more needs cheering up!

We went to the hospital regularly, which I didn't mind. I spent more time with my Master and I got to make people feel better. One day, I went to visit an elderly lady.. She was really sweet.. But something was off. When it was time to leave, I stayed. Something in me didn't want to leave her alone.. and that's when I saw it. Another angel. Only this one was different... a little darker. An angel of death.. I watched in wonder as the elderly lady reached out to the angel, and the angel kissed her on the lips.. then there was a loud beeping sound and the lady sat up, but leaving her body.. it scared me a little.. then she took a transparent hand and pet me on the head and she and the angel disappeared... the beeping noise made a lot of people rush in. Someone started crying.. I felt bad for them. They must have cared for the lady. But it's okay, she's in a better place now. I wonder if they knew that. I went to the weeping person and hugged them. they hugged back and kept crying.. I licked their tears and got them to calm down and the person left with a different man. He must have been in charge of the death stuff after a person dies.

When we headed back home, I stayed quiet. I guess Master knew something was bothering me, so she told me I didn't have to go back if I didn't want to. And honestly, I didn't. I knew I was good at that job, but it took a lot out of me today.. seeing all that. I could always go back when I wanted, as I am certified, but for a little while, I think I'll stay home. It's less emotionally draining.

Once we got in the door, the telephone was ringing.. we never got calls this late. She talked to them for a while, whoever it was. And told them they could come up tomorrow and she gave them our address... she never told me who was coming. I found myself a little nervous. But I brushed it off, I was friendly, and loved making friends, what did I have to be nervous about?

We also saw something on television that night.. It really piqued my interest. Disc tournaments. It looked like so much fun.. Just like playing fetch with frisbees! I got Masters attention, and now we are planing to go up there tomorrow for a tournament to try out a beginner's class. I'm so excited.. but so tired. I fell asleep on the couch, but I woke up slightly to find my Master carrying me up the stairs to her room... Oh, how I loved Master. She was the best thing ever..