A Dog's Passion

The girl my Master kissed came over today and brought her dogs for a play date like she said she would. It made me really happy to finally meet them. One thing surprised me though...

Jasper and Sebastian... They were, well, romantically involved. It was odd, I'll admit, two male dogs in love. But I was too scared to question it as I didn't want to offend them, and too embarrassed to ask how it, you know, "worked". They were adorable together though. And very friendly and playful with their squashed in noses and wrinkles. Their other house mate, Francis, looked like them, only a bit bigger. And he had pointed ears.

I smelled something odd on Francis.. I didn't really understand it. I asked Jasper and Sebastian why he had that smell about him, and they just said he's always had it. He went to the vet about it. And doesn't talk about it.

I understood I guess.. he has a right to his privacy, but I wanted to know... I guess I'll just forget about it for now.

Their other owner, whom I assume to be the girl Master kissed, is most likely her brother. I smelled the same smell on him too.. It was odd. And I was curious, so I smelled him continuously. My Master apologized for my odd behavior, and he said it was okay, he had what they call "cancer" and that most dogs can smell it, they just don't know humans are interested in the smell.

Cancer... so that's what that smell was. I've heard about it.. it can kill you. Humans, dogs, cats, anything can get it, except maybe reptiles.. that must also be what Francis has..

I went to talk to him about it. He was laying down by himself, and I laid beside him and nudged him with my nose. So... you've got cancer... I said. And he opened up.. Teared up a little too.. Told me everything. The diagnosis. How it feels.. everything. I felt bad for him, but he's a fighter. I think he will make it. He said it was getting better anyways.

Before they left, the brother talked to my Master about maybe signing me up to be a therapeutic dog for the hospital.. I could help find cancer and cheer up kids and people who do.. That was a nice idea. I liked the idea a lot. Maybe she will let me do that.

So I said my goodbyes, and they left. Promised they'd come back soon, which is good. It makes me happy to have friends. Around the next time they'd be up here, Ludo would be too. So they'd get to meet Ludo, which makes me happier too. Ludo needs more friends.. he's kind of a loner. But no one was meant to be alone... so I think he will be happy with new friends who are closer to his size. I think him and Francis will get really close. They remind me of each other in a way.. I guess it's because they're both older.