A Dog's Love

My Master was very patient with me.. And always very kind. The first time she brought me home, she carried me around and showed me everything I needed to see. I was extremely happy, because every time I wanted to go up stairs, she had to carry me because of my leg, I got a chance to lick her in the face each time. She would giggle and nuzzle me or scratch behind my ears each time. She never hit me.

Master nursed me back to health.. They said I would have to take things slow and took off my cast. That was nice. Walking was difficult at first, but I could run normally after a day or so.

I don't think Master could ever understand what I was saying, but nevertheless, she knew me. The majority of the time, she knew what I wanted, whether it was a walk, a bathroom break, or a belly rub.

An example of this would be when I was half asleep and had to pee really badly.. I couldn't even make it outside because I was so tired. She picked me up and took me out there and while I was peeing, I fell asleep! I almost fell over, but she caught me and made sure I stayed up right and when I woke up, I was in my bed. I love my Master so much.

Master was talking about a name one day.. She said I needed one. I didn't know what that meant at first. I tilted my head and she explained that a name was what everyone would call me. I needed a good name now that I had a home.

Jamie! She named me Jamie! I had a name! She gave me a name! And a collar with a tag! The tag had my name on it! I was so excited and wagging all over the place, I had an accident..

I immediately ran and hid under the couch with my tail tucked between my legs.. I didn't mean to do it.. I just got too excited.. Last time I did that, I got hit..

Peeking out from under the couch, she was cleaning up my mess.. I whimpered. I was so sorry... I heard her call my name and say a command.. Reluctantly, I obeyed slowly. My tail still in between my legs.. She raised her hand and I cowered low to the ground.. But she never hit me. Instead, she pulled me into her lap and pet me and said it was okay, it was just an accident... She didn't hit me. I still felt horrible about it, so I licked her cheek to help make up for it.. She giggled and kissed me back again. She forgave me.. she must love me, right?

I tried to ask her if she loved me.. But she never understood what I was asking. She's only a human after all.. I guess I can't blame her for not understanding dog.. But that's okay, because I still love her. My Master. My beautiful, sweet, giving, kind Master.

After that day, she bought these things that sit on the floor so when I feel too excited or have to uh, relieve myself really badly, I can go in the house. It's very convenient, but it's sort of embarrassing, going in front of my master.. I try to only use them when she's not in the room. It's a dog thing, humans wouldn't understand. It's just like how we walk in circles first to be aligned with the polarities of the earth before we go. It's a dog thing. Though, the smell of those "puppy pads" even make me want to pee on them.. it's odd.

When my Master came home from usual people stuff today, I ran up to her to hug her and lick her face like I always do.. But she pushed me away and ignored me... It hurt me a little.. she's never done that. My tail went between my legs as I walked out of the kitchen and up the stairs into her room. She doesn't know this, but when I'm sad or I miss her, I go into her room and either lay on her bed or under it or smell her clothes because the way she smells comforts me.. It makes it easy for me to imagine her being there even when she can't.

She must have known anyways, because she came up here and told me it was okay, and I could come out. Then she hugged me and said she was sorry for being mean earlier and kissed me. I wagged my tail and nuzzled into her neck. Oh, how I loved her. She scratched my tummy, and I kicked my legs, because it tickled and felt good at the same time. She would laugh and kiss me again and keep scratching. I live for moments like this. It helps me forget the life I had before she found me.