A Dog's Friend

Master took me to the park today, which was great. I got to run around and knock those smaller humans over they call "children" and catch balls and frisbees and stuff. It was all so exciting.

There was this weird small furry thing they call "squirrel" that I didn't really like. It tried to walk near my Master, but I didn't know that squirrel, so I chased it up a tree. I felt pretty proud of myself for defending my Master from the evil squirrel.

Then I smelled something really... nice.. it was a weird smell that got me all .. "Bothered".. Which usually doesn't happen when I smell things like that. Master said I was getting too big to be called a puppy, and I knew all about what that meant from my mom. That smell meant there was a female dog.. In heat.. I went to find her. It was like I couldn't even control what I was doing. But I found her, and we became friends. But she laughed at me for being attracted to her.. That's okay I guess though. I don't want to do anything with her just yet.. Maybe that's why she laughed... She was older than me. Pfft, females..

I made more friends too. There was a really short guy, named Fido, and his brother, Skip. And the neighbor, Ludo. They were really nice, though I'm taller than them, and they're older. They were telling jokes and stuff, which I didn't really get, but I laughed anyways..

After the park, Ludo got to stay over for a little while. It was nice having someone to play with and talk to who understood everything I was saying. We talked about our Masters and what they like and dislike and what we like to do with them and how they sometimes don't understand us. It was nice. His master is a tall man who likes coffee and smokes every morning. I asked Ludo what smoking was, and he said it's where you lite a small stick like object on fire until it gets to the part you can't smoke. He said it wasn't too bad, but the smoke itself smelled very gross and hurt his nose. I felt bad for Ludo.

I was very embarrassed of the pads I sometimes relieve myself on, so I tried to keep Ludo away from them with distraction. It worked at first, but he eventually saw one. I was nervous at what he would say at first but he walked onto it, sniffed it a bit, and used it himself! I was sorta surprised.. I guess it showed because he asked what I was staring at. And I told him the truth about how I was embarrassed about it, and he said I shouldn't care. He said it was a normal thing, and most dogs who can't get out much because of their Master's busy schedule have them in their house too. I didn't tell him that they were there because I have a weak bladder.. Just let him assume they were there because of Master.

After a while, Ludo and I talked about our pasts. I told him everything.. And it turns out, we have similar history. Only, he had it worse. Poor little guy. I've only heard stories about dogs being forced into a pen for fighting.. It's absolutely cruel. He showed me some scars, and told me how he got each one. And he told me how he was rescued. Kind of the same way I was, only a little more.. Chasing. He ran. But I don't blame him, because those humans who work for the humane society can be pretty scary.

We eventually just talked. Told stories about things we've heard. The weirdest one is what he overheard a vet saying to another owner who's pet had separation anxiety. "Some pets take the Master/Pet relationship to different levels in their mind. They sometimes think of their owners as, well as you and your boyfriend think of each other"

We discussed this topic for a while.. I didn't really know that was possible. I mean obviously they can't be mates or anything, but why would they love their owners like that if it can never be.. That's unrequited love.. Love that isn't returned. I've heard it hurts. Badly.. I feel bad for the pet they were talking about.

We ate soon after, and then Ludo's master came and took him back home. I kind of miss Ludo.. but Master says he will be back next week. So I must be patient.