A Dog's Diary

Hi. Well, I'll go ahead and tell you, I'm a dog.

I know some basic tricks.. you know, the ones where you humans give us food if we do the trick right even though it's pointless? But hey- free food. I can't complain.

I live at home with my loving Master who takes me on nice long walks and feeds me and pets me. Master is very nice. And I love Master. And if I don't like the way you touch her, I'll bite your face off...

Life wasn't always this way though. A couple of weeks after mom gave me away to a new home, I thought I'd like it. Thought it would be nice to have a home like mom talked about all the time. Cuddles, food, love, but no peeing on the carpet I was told. Seemed easy enough. But one day at my new home, I got really excited when the children came home. They were so sweet to me. I had.. Uh.. Well, I had an accident. All over the rug. That was the first time they ever struck me.

After that, anything I did wrong, accident or not, I was beaten. The bigger human kicked me once.. Hurt my leg pretty badly. I couldn't walk, so I knew it was broken..

Then all these people came in a week later. There was yelling and crying and screaming and it scared me. These other humans with long poles in these weird clothes came after me. I couldn't go anywhere because of my leg, but I was so scared. I was growling and biting everything I could but they finally caught me and put me in a cage only to be taken somewhere else and placed into a bigger cage.. kind of pointless if you ask me.

They took my picture they said as they held up an object and a bright light flashed that hurt my eyes. I was okay after a little bit. They had bandaged up my leg and stuck something sharp into me that made the pain go away. Even though it helped, I hope they don't do that again. I don't like that. I don't like it at all.

A day or so later, I was sitting there like I always do. I can limp around a little to get food or water or relieve myself.. At least I can move now. I was about to get up to get some water when I saw her. She approached me slowly, and allowed me to sniff her hand through the fence.. She smelled so sweet.. She opened the fence and went into my cage. I'll admit, I cowered away a little.. My experience with humans then wasn't the best. I was scared I did something wrong and she was gonna hit me. She spoke to me softly and scratched behind my ears.. Oh god, I loved that. I still do. And she said she was taking me home. She promised me right there that she wouldn't ever hit me or hurt me.. And I believed her. There was this look in her eyes.. So I knew she would never hurt me. And I licked her. The dog equivalent of a human kiss. And she kissed me back. Right on my forehead. And that's the day she became my Master.