A Dog's Day

Today is the yearly anniversary of when my Master brought me home. Since she doesn't know when I was born, we kind of count this as my birthday. I can't say I mind, of course.

Every year is different, so I was excited to know what happens this year. I jump up out of bed and run up stairs to see Master. I lick her face and hands and shoulders and ears to get her awake. It always works. She giggles and rolls over and I bite at her shirt and try to get her out of bed. Okay, okay, she says. I'm up, I'm up. I jump around and watch her make her way to her "bathroom" to get ready for the day. I wait patiently for her to get ready, and lay on her bed, knowing it can be time consuming for her daily routine.

She's allowed me in there once.. She undressed in front of me.. I looked away at times, but also watched. I was curious. Then she'd step into the big tub she bathes me in and takes what she calls a "shower". Then she gets out, dresses again, and does her hair, brushes her teeth, and we're ready to go. I felt really awkward watching her do something so personal... It's kinda the same way I feel when she notices me relieving myself in front of her.. So I haven't been inside there with her since then.

Once she's out, I jump around again, all excited. She tells me we're going to a big event with lots of dogs and treats and food and stuff.

So we get in the car and we're off to the event. She let's me loose in a field where there are buried treats and stuff and other dogs. I make friends quickly and find Ludo and the others. We hunt for treats while Master talks to her friends. I like watching her with her friends. She smiles. I like it when she smiles.

Once the event is over, I've found lots of food, so I'm really full and exhausted. I fell asleep on the ride home. But when I woke up, we were there. So it's okay. We go in the door, and there's this box on my bed.. I go over to investigate and see a bow on it. My tail starts wagging. The tag has a bone on it... I get all excited. This is my birthday present. Oh my gosh. My birthday present. What could it be? Is it a toy? Is it treats? What is it?

Master helps me tear into it and sure enough, it's a toy! The pull kind that still has a squeaker in it. It's a fox I think. After Master cleans up the trash, I put the toy on my bed with the others and snuggle up with them and fall asleep. I had good dreams that night, of a field.. With bones everywhere. And the candy I'm not allowed to eat. And sunshine. And my Master..