n i n e t e e n.

Dark's soulless eyes didn't break contact with yours as his grip around your neck grew tighter and tighter. His fingers closed around your windpipe, suffocating you. He did not seem to care about the knock at the door at all. You squeezed your eyes shut as you felt your life begin to drain from your body.

"I'm sorry, Mark," you thought as your heart began to slow down in its pace.

The knock turned into a pound on the door as the world seemed to disappear around you. Finally, Dark let out an annoyed growl and let go of you as he stormed out of the room. You gasped and reached your hands up to your neck. As you gently touched your skin, you winced at the pain and decided to focus on breathing. After getting several deep breaths in, your breathing began to fall back into its normal pace.

Your ears picked up on Dark's voice as he grumbled to himself. You closed your eyes and let your head droop.

"What have I gotten myself into? Mark, I'm trying my best to help you, but it just might be the death of me," you thought as you reopened your eyes. You spotted something in a corner of the room and saw that it was a man. Not just any man, this was Tyler. A large gasp escaped your lips as your mind raced with thoughts on how he got in. He placed his pointer finger to his lips as a sign for you to stay quiet. You noticed that he had a large skillet in his hand and you smiled. Dark's footsteps from outside of the room split the silence within the house. He whistled a tune as he opened the door and stepped into the room, smiling at you. Suddenly, Tyler sprang into action and slammed the skillet into the side of Dark's temple, making him collapse. Tyler grinned and flipped the utensil around in his hand before quickly turning towards you and helping you out of your restraints.

"Th-" you went to thank Tyler, but realized that you couldn't speak. All that came out was a breathy whisper.

"Shhh, don't speak. You're alright now," Tyler said as he undid your final restraint and caught you before you could collapse to the ground. You smiled at him and wrapped your arms around him. "We have to go," Tyler whispered. "He's going to recover soon. We can't be here when he wakes up."

You nodded in response and tried to walk, but sharp pains erupted all over your tortured body. Tyler noticed your discomfort and practically carried you out of the room. You directed Tyler to the front door and felt a glimmer of hope within you. Tyler sat you down in a chair near the door as he unlocked it and opened it. Just as the click of the deadbolt could he heard, a deep chuckle resonated from behind you. Before you could act, large arms wrapped around your waist and pulled you backwards. You tried to scream and alert Tyler, but all you could do was watch in horror as Tyler turned around to grab you, a smile on his face. Everything seemed to move in slow motion as you saw Tyler's face change as he realized what was happening. His eyes darted to yours and you mouthed one word to him: "run". Tyler registered your command, but didn't follow it. He just shook his head as Dark lifted him up and slammed him into the wall. You watched in horror as Dark brutally threw Tyler around as if he were a pillow. Your vision blurred as your eyes welled up with tears, a few slipping out.

"You think you can just come in here and knock me out?" Dark yelled as he punched Tyler. "And then you try to run away with my princess?!!" His voice lowered a few octaves as he let out a loud and low growl. "You shouldn't have come here, Tyler. You knew better. Now Mark's going to get to watch one of his good friends die!" He said with a chuckle as he tossed Tyler over towards where you were seated. Dark's eyes met yours for a moment and you saw him recognize the pain in your eyes. He seemed to soften and his eyes lightened because he wanted to care for you. The moment was ruined when Tyler groaned in pain and snapped Dark back into his ruthless and demonic torture session.

You sobbed silently before clapping your hands as loud as you could to gain Dark's attention. He attempted to ignore you at first, his bloodlust keeping his focus on Tyler, but, eventually, he turned around and faced you with Tyler limp in his arms. You allowed yourself a quick glance at Tyler and wished you hadn't.

"S-stop," you barely croaked out. You racked your brain for your information that you learned about Dark before you remembered something. "Yo..you're not...being....a-a...gent-gentleman."

Dark stared blankly at you for a few moments before laughing hysterically. He laughed for a few minutes before regaining his posture and running a hand through his hair. "You know what, darling? You are absolutely right...I'm-I'm not treating our guest with respect at all."

You smiled to yourself, thinking that you had won.

"But you know what? My nice days are over. You certainly made sure of that. So, I honestly couldn't care less if I ripped him limb by limb until he was just pieces. Hell, that sounds like a great idea!" He exclaimed before grabbing Tyler's right wrist with one hand and using his other to grab his shoulder.  You tried to scream, but nothing came out. So, you did what any rational person would do. You flung yourself at the demon before you. Dark just stared down at you and watched as you tried to stop Dark in vain. He chuckled before sending you flying into the wall, your previous injuries washing pain all over your body. Looking up at Dark, you saw him toss Tyler to your side.

"I'm going to get cleaned up. Have fun, Princess."

You crawled over to Tyler, ignoring everything your body was screaming at you. Rolling him over, you could barely recognize his face from how badly Dark had bashed it in. You held back tears as you analysed his body and took in all of his wounds. Suddenly, he began to cough and you helped him sit up as he coughed up blood. He opened his eyes and forced a smile.

"Y-You have to keep re-resisting. It's the only way t-to weaken him. H-he gets powerful when he's c-connected to a human. That's why he's upset when you don't talk to him. He n-needs you." You smiled at him and ran your fingers through his curls. "The gentleman thing was a good idea. It should work a little later when he realizes what he's done. I-I just want my f-friend back," his dark blue eyes shimmered as he looked into yours.

"I know, and we are going to get Mark back, no matter what it costs."