The Poisoned

Chapter Fourteen- The Poisoned

Darla and Duke walk past Jett and I, holding hands and giggling with each other. I cringe at the sight, "I bet they had an amazing weekend."

"Full of sex and happiness." Jett sighs, shaking his head.

I hit his arm, he grins apologetically. Darcy hadn't visited since I first saw her but Jett said that's normal. Some nights she can come, some nights she can't. The school has a protective barrier around it and Darcy has to evade it to get inside. She sends a dove to Jett's window in the morning to tap three times and alert him that she is able to see him that same night. Jett has to tap three times in return if he can see her, if he can't he has to ignore the dove.

Jett told me how he had thought Darcy was a little kid when she first saw him and she got angry at him for calling her short. When he found out she was in fact older than him he had laughed for ages. Jett likes her reactions, he finds them cute. He told me him and Darcy had gotten really close, they spoke for hours on end to each other which is why he had been sleeping in class even more than he normally did. However, Friday night was the first night she had kissed him, even if it was only on the cheek.

We take a seat down and my eyes find Darla again, she's sitting on top of Duke, totally inappropriate for a table, doesn't she have any table manners? "I wish she would get into a tragic accident and die." I say through gritted teeth.

"Don't we all?" Jett laughs, stretching his arms lazily.

We pick out the food next to us, Jett finds baked beans out of a chance and he savours his meal. I dive straight into my food, feeling hungry. I've only had a few spoonfuls of my porridge when dizziness suddenly overtakes me. I feel queasy, my stomach aches and my vision blurs.

"Jett..." I manage to say but I feel I'll throw up if I try to say more.

Jett looks at me and his eyes widen, "Holy shit Eva you look like you're about to be sick, are you okay?" He places his palm on my forehead, "You're really hot."

I point weakly to the porridge and Jett grabs it. I hold onto my stomach, closing my eyes and wishing the pain would stop. I open my eyes as it does nothing and Jett pulls out a small purple seed, a certain seed that can only be grown by people who have light powers. It's ironic that I'm seriously allergic to the otherwise delicious seed.

"Someone poisoned you." Jett clenches his fists angrily, crushing the seed to dust.

My body is sweating and I moan, my stomach searing with pain. I can barely see anything, as if the pain is hitting it's climax and it feels like someone smashing a hammer into my forehead while I give birth or something.

Jett helps me up, my legs wobble fiercely as he guides me to the door but I don't make it. I fall backwards, my body paralysed. I can see better now but everything hurts incredibly, my world is spinning and my eyelid slowly close as I lose consciousness.

-Jett's Point of View-

Eva's on the ground, small tremors erupting from her body while she moans. I kneel beside her, not knowing at all what to do. People begin to gather around, they're lucky they're keeping their distance because I feel like attacking someone.

"Who the fuck put Moonglow seeds in Eva's food?" I yell, projecting my voice so that everyone in the dining hall can hear.

I'm going to make whoever did it wish they were never born. I hate to imagine what Eva is going through right now, even if she is unconscious. These seeds aren't very common; it's a seed ordered at restaurants or put in a special family recipe, not served at a school.