{25} Busted

Zaynub Khalid

I gasped as soon as I saw the big red mark on Zakir's jaw. What the heck happened? I looked behind him and saw that Zaid was on the floor clutching his arm and his friends just looked wide-eyed at Zakir. I walked up to Zakir and placed my hand on his bruised jaw. He winced. I quickly removed my hand.

"Did you fight with Zaid?" I asked him.

He scratched the back of his neck. "Not exactly."

"What happened?"

"Um... well... I came to warn him off and he punched me. So I... uh... twisted his arm," he mumbled the last part.

I nodded my head. Zaid got up and stormed towards us. His face was red with anger. "You," he said pointing towards Zakir. "We're not finished here."

Zakir pushed me behind his back, but I stepped around him to stand in between him and Zaid.

"Oh yes he is. You should know better than to physically harm your brother in Islam," I said while crossing my arms.

"Harm? He threatened me!" he shouted.

"Then maybe next time you would think twice before sexually harassing another man's wife," I glared.

Zaid stood there shocked. I smirked and then dragged Zakir out of the building.

"Zaynub, go back to your class. I'll be fine," Zakir said as he stopped walking causing my steps to pause.

I turned to look at him. "You," I said while poking him in the chest. "Are my husband. I am your wife and I will do my duty as your wife. Now come on," I said while dragging him.

I found our car and took his keys. "I'm driving," I said while sitting in the driver's seat. He was about to object but I looked at him sternly.

He obeyed and sat next to me. The ride home was silent. I didn't want him talking with his jaw hurt like that. It must hurt for him to talk.

* * * *

When we got home, I quickly got an ice pack and placed it on Zakir's jaw. He winced at first, but gradually accepted it. He sat down on the couch and I sat next to him, holding the ice pack to his jaw.

"I can't believe you did that," I said.

"What?"

"Threatened him and then taking a blow," I said softly.

"Well, I had to show him not to mess with my girl. Especially since he touched you."

"Zakir, promise me you won't do something like this again. You got really hurt. I don't want this to happen to you again," I said while removing the ice pack.

"I can't do that," he replied.

"And why not?" I asked with raised eyebrows.

He turned to look at me and grabbed my hands. "I can't do that because I love you. I promise to protect and cherish you for the rest of my life. By doing that, I'll take blows for you. I won't let anyone get away with hurting you without me talking to them."

I looked at him in awe. "I-I don't know what to say," I said.

He kissed my knuckles. "You don't have too. All I need is your love," he whispered.

"That's the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me."

Zakir was about to say more, but Khadijah walked into the room.

"Bhaiyah (brother), Laila is acting like a complete- whoa what happened to your face dude?" she asked while hiding a giggle.

Zakir glared. I shook my head at his behavior. "Someone punched him."