Dreams to Nightmare. Part1

I awoke in a haze, a shooting pain raged through my right arm with the heat of fire itself. My midnight hair fell over one glassy grey eye as I tried to stand; shackles jingled and allowed me no more than a yard of roaming space. Looking to the ground I saw my best friend lying in a crumpled heap, the look death haunted her pale face.

A fire crackled above us casting eerie shadows onto the cold, damp stone walls. I clutched my throbbing arm and held it gently to my torso, pacing in what little room I had to pace. Where in God's name was I? I could hear faint hissing whispers surrounding me which sent chills down my spine.

Under the flickering light of the fire I could faintly see the bone of my arm pressed against my lightly tanned skin. At the sight of the injury my body began to shake violently, that couldn't be good. Squatting down next to Violet, I rested my head against the wall feeling a cold sweat forming on my brow.

Our holding cell resembled a hole. It was about a thirty foot drop from the ledge where the fire burned to the pit we sat in. The wall I leaned on felt rounded against my shoulder and the ground beneath my feet was rocky and uneven.

The sound of marching echoed through unseen hallways kicking my heart rate up a notch. Suddenly a solid stone door swung open, making the loudest crash I had ever witnessed. It even made the spot where I sat vibrate slightly. A jolt of excitement ran through me at the sight of two men. Escape! Was my first thought. I ran towards them almost forgetting about my arm and the chains that bound me...almost.

I flung backwards when the shackles snagged sending me toppling over Violet in the process of falling. A snap following by an eardrum splitting scream tore through the otherwise silent air. I clutched my wrist and rocked back and forth, biting my lips to keep another scream from escaping. A new bone had snapped in my wrist, I know it sounds bad but on the bright side the new pain numbed the old one, on the down side though the new pain was a billion times worse.

Violet came out of her deceased looking trance in an instant and was on her feet at an inhuman rate. "What's going on?!" She cried not looking back at me once. Couldn't say I blamed her though; she was squared off with two hefty men armed with a pointed wooden rod and a lit torch.

"I- I don't know!" I squealed watching the three with wide eyes. Tears began to brim in my eyes for the first time in a long time. I forcibly choked back the urge to just sit and sob as I attempted to watch my friend. I could barely see Violet past the two men and what I saw of her amazed me. She stood tall and strong not a trace of fear or vulnerability tainted her neither face nor posture. Her mouth was set in a grim line, her crystalline eyes hard.

She opened her mouth to shout commands at me but she had no time. The men charged her just as she managed to scream "don't watch!" The words that followed were muffled gurgles of blood mixed with saliva. Suddenly a bright flame consumed her entirely. She grunted and bit her lip until it was bleeding but she refused to give them the joy of hearing her agony. Violet fell to her knees, struggling for a few moments more before turning to char and vanishing completely.

"Violet! No!" My head whirled as I fell to my knees, finally letting the tears roll down my fear stricken face.

*~*~*~*

"Zayde! Wake up, dude!" my entire body quaked violently, waking me with a shock.

I kicked and flailed getting me legs tangled in the sheet while the top half of my body tumbled out of bed, forcing me to so a face plant on the hardwood flooring of my ever comforting room. When I looked up though, I saw the best thing possible. "Violet, you're alive!" I jerked my feet from their bondage in the covers and hugged her as tightly as possible. "You're really alive!"

She hugged me in return loosely in return and pulled away slowly, arching a single blonde eyebrow. "Well, duh I'm alive. What have you been smoking?"

I rubbed my tired eyes. "Apparently the good stuff." Huffing, I slumped towards the floor, surround by a sea of turquoise blankets. She laughed shaking her head gently, her blonde curls bounced cheerfully, accenting her playful green eyes.

"It's just like you to not share." She smiled, placing her hand on my knee to push herself up to her bare feet. "Anywho, hurry and get woken up would you? I'm pretty sure your mom made waffles and you know how I get when mine are cold." Violet bounded down the stairs without another word leaving me watching after her with a slight head shake.

That had been the most recent in a long line of horrifying dreams. They had kick started only a few weeks prior, after I had visited the doctor for my annual physical. While I was there they had accidentally injected me with a seemingly harmless serum and things had never been the same...