The Blob | @BEWheeler

Start from the beginning

I ran after it as it zoomed through the common room, through the kitchen, and down the stairs to the cargo hold. All the while I ran after it, hoping it wouldn’t decide to play hide and seek.

“Computer,” I yelled as I ran into the cargo hold.

“Yes, Nova?”

“Can you detect the green blob on board?”

“There is no such thing as a green blob.”

I ran down the stairs and stood in the middle of the cargo hold. Crates upon crates were placed around the area, for a moment I could not see the green thing.

"Well I can see it, so therefore it is a thing now. Look it up!” I needed to get an idea of what this thing was.

“There is no information of a blob.”

I rolled my eyes. “Look up…” Oh, what was another name for a blob? “Flubber, look up flubber.”

“Flubber, a movie made in 1997, Robin-”

“Not helpful!” I shouted at the computer. I needed to know what the thing was. This green blob. Was it toxic to the touch? I needed to capture it, but I didn't dare touch it.

“Advice,” the computer said, “Wake the captain.”

“Pick another piece of advice,” I snapped. Eyeing the blob in the corner of the hold, I grabbed the nearest thing which was a rod that was a meter long. Okay, this could work.

I walked slowly to the corner where the blob was. It either saw me and didn’t care, or its back was to me and I was sneaking up on it. It didn’t move as I stood close enough to raise the rod above my head and swung it down.

The rod fell directly on top of the green blob.

And it split into two.

“What the!” I yelled as I jumped back. There were now two blobs staring at me.

“I see that worked well,” the computer said sarcastically behind me.

My eyes turned to the little speaker, giving it a dark look. “Dear god, you has a personality.”

“And you have bad aim.”

“Hey, I did hit it.” I turned back to find the blob gone. “Ah, crap.”

“Advice, do not take your eyes off the blob.”

I walked closer to the two crates the blob had stood between. Nothing stood behind them. “Are you sure you can’t detect it?”

“I am sure,” the computer said. I turned back to where the stairs were, and I froze.

The two blobs stood at the top. The two pieces morphed together just as easy as I cut it apart with the rod. The little thing turned and zoomed away.

“Hey!” I ran up the stairs. At the top, I couldn’t make out if it had gone back the way we had come or if it went through the other open door that led to the engineering room.

A loud bang from the engineering room was my answer. I ran toward the sound and to the blob.

Skidding into the engineering room, I held the rod up ready to strike. Really, hitting it would not help. It would only slice it into two. I needed a cage or some sort of box.

A sound of a metal tool fell to my left. I looked over at the workbench to see the blob looking at me as if it was a cat that just pushed a cup of water over a table edge.

“I gotcha little buddy,” I whispered as I crept over to it. It stood still, watching me. I raised my arms, ready to strike it, but the blob fell to the floor. Jumping toward it, I tried to smack it with the rod, but it zoomed between my legs.