The Blob | @BEWheeler

The night shift was terrible

I hated it, but being the newest and lowest rank member on the cargo ship, the night shift was thrown on me. There were a few perks. Like sitting in front of the controls that flew the spaceship, but I couldn’t touch them. Before the actual pilot went to sleep, he had put the ship on autopilot, and it would remain like that until he woke up.

So, I sat there. Eating some thick oatmeal that I wished was a burrito.

“Computer,” I said through a mouthful of bland oatmeal.

“Yes Nova?” the female voice said through the speaker.

“How many hours until I am off duty?”

“Five hours, forty minutes, and thirty-five seconds.”

Great, I had only been on duty for an hour and twenty minutes, but it felt like hours.

I went back to my bowl and watched the stars twinkle by. They all sparkled and winked at me, enticing me to go off autopilot and chase them. My eyes spotted an unusual star. It looked as it if was glowing green, not white.

“Computer, scan the surrounding area.”

I waited a moment before the computer responded, “Scanning surrounding area: zero results.”

Setting down my spoon, I leaned closer to the window. The small green dot seemed to grow larger. “Are you sure?”

“I do not understand.”

I rolled my eyes, forgetting the computer was not a real person. “Test again.”

“Scanning surrounding area: zero results.”

I sat down in the seat, watching the green thing. It grew closer and closer. Whatever the green blob was, it should have been picked up by the computer. It was so close to the ship and...

It was gone. I sat up in the seat. The blob was almost to the ship, or maybe it had touched the ship. And now it was gone.

A second later, there was a bang behind me. Turning slowly, I stared hard at the door. Maybe the captain was up, or the engineer, or maybe the pilot. But there was this uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I stood and walked to the door. Opening it, I found the source of the sound. The little green blob was in the ship. It stood there, actually stood in the middle of the hallway. Though it didn’t have a face, I knew it was staring at me.

“Hey little buddy,” I said, walking toward it. The lime green blob glowed slightly and moved like jello. The tip of the blob looked up at me as if had a head.

I took one more step and then it vanished. Well, not vanished-vanished, but vanished by zooming down the hall to the open door that led to the common room.