In Knee Deep Trouble

Start from the beginning

What grudge did she hold against me anyway, other than the fact that I am the descendant of the woman she despised, and was remotely close to the god she had once tried her hardest to obtain.

Wonderful.

I found myself thinking this option was much better than the other, where Demeter was putting on an act when Hades had arrived. The outcome of such circumstances seemed scarier to me than the first, for I knew he despised when secrets were kept.

In a way I had brought this upon myself by playing along Demeter's plans in the beginning, but the price I could obtain if her words turned true kept me from refusing till it was too late.

The situation as it is, weighed to be more advantageous if Demeter turned out to be a goddess with a good heart who was so bad at expressing her thoughts that she ended up resorting to violence. If this theory spoke facts, I would be able to return home if I retrieve the soul fragment and if not, I would have to survive till I was rescued.

So in conclusion I was presented with two paths.

i) Good Goddess : Return home by collecting soul fragment.

ii) Bad Goddess : Play damsel in distress and await help.

I very much wanted to lie down on my stomach, roll around in the grass and ponder over my worries, but I knew as the time went by, I would find it more interesting to just roll around and procrastinate.

Sighing, I held onto the straps a little tighter, and prayed that nothing would go wrong.

But without forewarning, the foreign land fell into darkness, as quickly as the turning of a page, making me trip as I fumbled about in surprise.

My teeth fortunately did not impale my tongue as my chin hit hard on turgid roots, but nevertheless came the pain of impact that left me dazed.

I stayed down till I calmed, and then felt around me with my hands to find myself in the worst case scenario.

Roots the size of my wrists were coiled one over the other, in no specific order like tiny hills as far as my limbs could stretch, affirming itself to be challenge to walk past even in broad daylight.

My bag weighed down on my spine, and I was suddenly reminded of the flashlight in it's contents. 

Smiling, I sat up and shrugged off one of the straps. My fingers were tracing down the zippers line when I heard the sound of hooves.

Fast approaching and loud, it rendered me immobile for a second and with the lack of sight, my sense of hearing heightened.

A moment later, the sounds were heard only a meter away like a stampede of horses ready to squish me into a bloody pulp.

Screams clawed at my throat as specks of dust landed upon my face that I deemed fell off the hooves passing over my curled up self in a steady rhythm, and soon faded away into the humming life of the forest, just as fast as they came.

Frantic, I felt around again, and crawled on all fours in the direction the roots began to grow thicker till my palm was finally resting on the hardened bark of an enormous tree.

I got up leaning my body towards the trunk, and circled around it hoping to find a cave in, but found none.

Frowning, I crouched down, and kept low as I began to feel for the nearest tree, and this time the heavens were on my side, for where the roots ended, a hollow formed from a half uprooted tree, big enough for me to writhe through.

I pulled down my sleeves when I got in, keeping very little skin exposed to the insects who may have already called the place home.

Then pulling the bag onto my front, I slipped in a hand through an opening just big enough for the flashlight to pass, in order to prevent the rest of the items from spilling and then most likely go missing.