What the Hell

Even when leaving, he refused to offer his hand, but when he did on getting on the chariot, I happily obliged.

Not.

This brought a frown to the otherwise void face, and he sported it almost halfway back home.

"Is there where I will go after I finish treating you?" I looked back to where my memories will no longer be mine to remember.

The flames of ember danced with amusement. "And why would you go there." Was his short answer, leaving me in a fearful smile.

Is it really as I feared what it is that I had done? I hadn't given much thought while breaking my cousin's nose nor his curses. My mouth hung open.

The misuse of power on the weak. That must be it.

"Is there really no way? I am dead and now I...."

He almost seemed to have wanted to laugh. "You are not dead mortal." The matter of fact tone made it harder to believe.

"What?" The question was a weak murmur. But as I drew near to hyperventilation I could no longer seem as calm.

"What?!!!?"

"Your soul and your body haven't parted." The words were uttered slowly with careful calm as if to prevent the breaking of the fragile mind of a child.

But I was lost, like in those never-ending corridors. "What about the fall? The prison I woke up in?"

"You were a creature of unknown origin and living, the guards only followed protocol in keeping in prison till you gained consciousness."

Creature? Did he just call a girl a creature?

Ignoring my accusing eyes he continued. "The well was a gateway used by Hermes, the messenger of the Gods, and was left forgotten for centuries. The only other to know of its existence was the High Priest of the Temple built to guard it, even he was never given access and neither did he dare."

"Is there really a curse cast over the place?"

"No, it was only a tale woven by the inhabitants of the village which existed close to the temple." He looked like he was remembering an incident of the past.

"Why isn't it sealed, people, may find it," I commented, forgetting about the revenge I ought to extract for hiding the fact that I was alive from me.

His slit pupils focused on me, the amber in them growing darker and divider and ones again I found myself to be the recipient of the rage and coldness that brew behind them.

To my luck, it quickly went away and his usual indifference replaced it as he went his way to embarrass me. "People rarely go into those parts of the forest."

I noticed the cunning, evil like light flashing in his eyes. "But I believe normal people do not jump into wells or fall asleep in other's bed. Or neither tries to undress someone without their permission nor be impolite enough to ignore an offered hand."

Every word struck home, leaving bloody holes in my self-esteem.

I did not try to undress him....without his consent! I felt my cheeks warming up to display my embarrassment in a shade of red.

It was practicality and logic were the ones who stopped me from punching him. Managing to cross my hands and turned away trying concentrate on the sense of happiness of realizing that I was alive.

The moment the chariot grazed the ground at the palace gates, a soldier rushed forward bowing deeply before engaging in a conversation with Hades who was already off.