Crossed Paths

I and my best friend Cynthia were in our final year in the University, when Cynthia got an internship job at one of the biggest companies in our country.

It was always an exciting moment whenever I had time to go and visit Cynthia at work because I would always force her to buy coldstone ice cream for us. The company Crone Ltd. is just an hour away from our school.

I got there at our agreed time, only to hear that Cynthia was still busy with her colleague. I decided to busy myself with playing candy crush. I just finished level 695 and was moving to level 696 when I heard someone saying from behind me
"wooow, you are a candy crush guru o. I am still in level 20 and I have been playing it for 2 months." He said.

"Ooooo, who is this one now" I said to myself.

I turned around and smiled at him just not to seem rude. He smiled back which I thought made him look boyish and quite cute. However, I returned back to my game and did a very good job at ignoring him, as he came to sit down opposite me to read a magazine which I am quite sure had been lying around since he was employed.

*beep, beep, beep* "Ha, battery low". I searched my bag for my charger and realized I forgot it. I groaned inwardly. Now I have to sit down and stare around as I forgot to also bring a book to read.

"Hello, you were concentrating so much on your game so I decided not to interrupt you. My name is Uche"

"Hi", I replied, "well candy crush has that effect on me. My name is Chika"

"Nice name. Are you waiting for someone here"

"Nah, you see, the sun was soo hot outside and I just had to walk in here to sit down and cool myself"

He smiled, "well, I am the king of sarcasm if I do say so myself, so don't let me give my own come back"

I smiled, "I am here to see Cynthia"

"oh, she is in a meeting"

"I know, I already asked about her"

There was silence between as for like 2 minutes, but he kept on smiling that his cute boyish smile.

"So, are you her sister? You both look alike" he asked

"Yeah" I replied

"Uche, Mr Isaac is asking of you" another of his colleague said.
"I will be there soon" Uche replied. "Nice meeting you Chika"

"Same here" I said.

I smiled to myself. I was about to resume my wall staring when I saw Cynthia rush out with her bag.

"I deserve some accolades for my level of patience you know" I said to Cynthia.
"Ngwa calm down I will buy you two cups of ice-cream" Cynthia replied.

I pouted and said "I deserve 4 cups plus that biggest cup as take away" that got me a raised eyebrow from Cynthia "don't worry I will finish them all if that is your problem" I said

"Chika, Chika repent from junk food" Cynthia said.

"Hian, okay I will manage 2 cups for today, next time I will make sure you delay me again" I told her.

"Pray tell, how will you do that" Cynthia said in a fake British accent.

"I have my ways" I replied in a faker British accent.

"Glutton" Cynthia smirked at me.

I laughed and said, "someone will think you don't eat with all these things you are saying."

We would have gone on like that if Uche did not interrupt us.

"Hey girls, I heard you both talking about ice-cream, I was going to get some for myself too. Can I tag along?

"Chika, this is Uche. Uche mee..."

"We have met already" I interrupted her.

"Yeah" Uche said, "your sister and I talked earlier"

"oh, my sister" Cynthia said smiling mischievously in my direction.

"I know that look", Uche said "I have been lied to" he turned inquisitively to my direction.

I smiled, "I replied yeah to the part where you said we looked alike, I was still going to reply to the question" I shrugged.

Cynthia sighed, "I told you to leave all these your mumu behaviour outside the gate whenever you are coming in here"

I smirked, "I did not know that it followed me in. Pele"

We both turned to Uche who just stood there watching us and smiling.

"So" I said, "someone was talking about coldstone ice-cream"

"you can surely come along" Cynthia said to Uche "but don't be surprised at how much she takes."

We got to coldstone and as we ordered, Uche offered to pay which made me order just one cup and got Cynthia smiling happily to herself. I gave her the look of *you are not getting out of this one*
We then sat down to enjoy our ice-cream. Uche and Cynthia discussed with each other while I munched on my ice cream. I felt a tap on the table and I looked up to see them both staring at me.

"Hey, how far?" I asked.

Uche laughed, "you really know how to concentrate on some things o"

"Hahaha, sorry I was in ice-cream heaven"

"you like ice-cream o" Uche said.

"she likes anything that is edible" Cynthia replied.

I laughed, "stop exaggerating things"

"So, Chika how is school? Cynthia said both of you are in your final year" Uche asked.

"school is going well." I replied "how is work?"

"work is going well" Uche said, "So, Chika what are your hobbies?"

"well I enjoy reading and playing games"

"hmm, nice" Uche said "So, Chika what... "

"Ngwa, Uche if you know you are going to do Mr. Investigator, come and start going home" Cynthia said jokingly.

We all laughed. "Sorry Ma" Uche said jokingly.
"So Chika, when next are you coming to visit us at the office?" Uche asked again.

Cynthia sighed and I laughed,"I don't know when that will be o"

Uche looked so heartbroken.

"we need to leave soon" Cynthia said, "it is getting late"

"yeah, you are right"