43. Until Death Do Us Part

There were three things that should never be talked about at a meal: politics, religion, and money. They were just too controversial, and were a surefire way to get emotions to run high.

The mansion was their dream, a bubble where strange things like "controversy" and "crusades" didn't exist and reality was far away. They had nothing to worry about. It was hard to go to bed angry.

"Hey honey, uhh, weird question, but where do we get all the money to run this place?"

Marsh peered over her newspaper. "You've never wondered that before."

"I'm curious, is all. I don't even know what a financial literacy is, let alone have it."

'Hmm...'

Apple ate a donut, looking at her expectantly. It was slightly burnt, but Apple either didn't notice or didn't care.

"Well, it's hard to explain in simple terms. Do you know anything about finances?" A few confused blinks served as her response. "Well, we get money from a lot of sources. When Paintbrush stayed with us, we got some. Before that, I actually sold stocks at Walmart."

"You stalk Walmart?"

"No, dear. Stocks," Marsh clarified. "I owned one tiny sliver of everything in Walmart, so I got a tiny part of their profit. I sold it back to them before joining Inanimate Insanity. That left me with a pretty big check to buy things with."

She paused so Apple could nod.

"Remember when we went out to get some things when we first moved in here, like your art supplies? I got my money from that then. That's how we have ten thousand dollars in our safe. Do you see what I mean?"

"Yep. Wow, I didn't know you actually owned Walmart! That's amazing." She took a long sip out of her bendy straw.

Marsh giggled. "It was only a tiny, tiny fraction, but I lived well. They gave me discounts, so on top of my rewards card... I'll put it this way: not everyone can afford a time machine."

"You owned a bit of the store that has everything!" She gestured. "That's so cool!"

"I was so young then. People used to be pretty amazed. I built quite the fortune thanks to Walmart." She smiled nostalgically. "Being rich was nice, but not as nice as living modestly with loved ones."

"Awww!"

Marsh sipped some water, deep in thought for a moment. "We also get a bit from Bow's blog... But it's not much."

"Wow. It's amazing that you know so much about money. All I know is how to buy things and count stuff. Will our money ever run out?"

"No, it's..." 'That's... Wow. That's a good question, actually.' Marsh looked at her, surprised. She laughed awkwardly. "That's not a bad question. Obviously it might, but... by then, we'll just..."

Huh.

Why weren't the words coming to her?

"Get jobs, right?" Apple pressed. "So we could get more money."

A job.

It'd been a thought that'd filled her with joy. She'd dreamed of the day she'd become a bonafide Walmart employee, the best one ever. Then she would be promoted to Walmart manager, and one day she'd get enough money to found her own Walmart store and become a Walmart boss.

But now it made her eye twitch. All those people, for hours per day... away from home?

"Er... No. We won't get jobs. We'll, um..."