Lesson #3: Express Gratitude Whenever You Can

"Marshmallow, check it out!"

A sheet of paper was thrust into Marsh's hands by an exuberant Apple. Even in the dark she could tell what it was, so she made herself smile. "Wow! Another picture of us hanging out? ...That's inventive." She couldn't keep the dryness out of her voice.

Not that Apple picked up on it. She was dense.

Very dense.

"Isn't it, though! Something about you leaves me feeling inspired, whatever that means." She pulled out another sheet of paper and immediately started scribbling.

The dryness in Marsh's voice wasn't for annoyance or anything; she was glad to have Apple's company and all. They had fun together, and Apple was really nice. Marsh just didn't know what to make of this. How did Apple have so much paper, and why did she keep drawing her? As a matter of fact, there was a lot about Apple she didn't understand.

Marsh returned to drawing her picture (herself as a Sailor Scout; shut up, she could dream), trying to keep her befuddlement off her face. Being confused by Apple's antics was far preferable to being on the wrong side of her fists.

"Yo Vitamin C, Sweet Stuff!"

Lightbulb skidded to a stop nearby, her light shining bright. "You gotta join us for our team hangout! Ya can't have a bonfire without s'mores."

"You're kidding, right?" Marsh said, her eyes widening.

"Who's to say?" Lightbulb answered.

"Uh- what's bonfire mean?"

"You're about to find out," Lightbulb said, grabbing Apple's arm and dragging her.

'Casual cannibalism, my favorite,' Marsh thought disgustedly, watching them walk off together. Still, she gathered her growing collection of Random Junk Apple Had Given Her (a yellow folder full of Apple's drawings and... a stick? She was still trying to figure that one out) and followed.

Three episodes had left the Bright Lights a much smaller team than it'd been at the start. Tissues leaving was for the best (and not just because it was nearly Apple instead of him), and Marsh was OK with saying goodbye to Cherries for obvious reasons. In spite of their disadvantage, their triumphant victory in the triathlon rang true.

At worst, it meant there was ample space around the little bonfire when Marsh got there.

Lightbulb rushed to sit beside Paintbrush. "Glad you could make it," Paintbrush greeted. "Lightbulb and I agree that we have to turn our win into a win streak."

"And the best way to do that," Lightbulb added, "Is to hang out! As a team!"

Test Tube chimed in, "Assuming Team Grand Slams doesn't do a similar bonding exercise, our chance of winning goes up in the tenths of percent. The tenths!"

"Uh, we aren't camping," Apple's face scrunched in confusion.

"Tenths, not tents," Marsh corrected gently, taking a seat between her and Yin-Yang (who seemed relatively stable at the moment). "It means we have a better chance of winning if we do this- but first, I have to make sure there won't be any casual cannibalism here. Right?" She crossed her arms and glared at Lightbulb.

"There will be no marshmallow roasting, don't worry," Paintbrush assured. "We do have plenty of treats for you to enjoy- if Fan stops hogging them."

Fan looked up from his phone; his mouth was so full that he looked like a chipmunk. He looked slightly embarrassed as Paintbrush snatched the bag from him and threw it to Marsh. When she peered inside, she gasped with delight. "Jellybeans!"