5

10th April 1912
4:05 pm

“Wait!” A familiar voice calls out as Sam teeters on the edge. “What are you doing?”

“What does it look like,” Sam snaps, unable to face the speaker as the tears dry against his cheeks.

“Come on Sammy, give me your hand and I’ll pull you back over,” Gabriel was obviously trying to keep his voice calm and steady, but Sam didn’t miss the slight waver.

“No, go away, you don’t even know me,” Sam shuffles on the spot, his gaze on the water below.

“I know that you’re Samuel Winchester, and the only reason you’re here is to help pay for you family’s wellbeing back home, I know you have an older brother called Dean and a little brother who’s only 7 years old, Adam.”

Sam shakes his head, “they’re better off without me.”

“You’re not going to jump,” Gabriel tried reasoning.

“You don’t know that.”

“If you were, you would of already.”

“The only reason I haven’t is because of the fact that you’re talking to me and distracting me!” Sam sasses, tired of arguing.

“Just give me your hand, remember how you promised to come to the party tonight? I need you to come otherwise I’ll be alone,” Gabriel held out his hand again. “Besides, if you jump in, I’ll just come in after you to save you…. And I don’t know about you but I’m not a big fan of icy water.”

Sam hesitates, what was he doing?

“Please, Sammy…”

Taking a deep breath, Sam shakily reaches out and grabs Gabe’s hand. Then, right as he went to climb over the railing, his foot slipped, and Sam’s heart missed a beat as he started falling.

His knees bang painfully against the side of the ship, one hand clutching the railing and Gabriel clinging onto the other. The edge was digging into his chest, the cold of the metal soaking through his shirt.

“I got you Sammy,” Gabriel puffs, struggling to pull Sam up.
Sam’s feet scramble against the smooth metal side as he pulls himself back up with Gabriel’s help.

Adrenaline pumped through his system as he manages to get one knee back onto the edge. Next thing he knew, Gabriel was hauling him over the rails and Sam knelt on the deck, chest heaving as his emotions ran wild.

“I’m sorry, oh God what’s wrong with me,” Sam sobs, burying his face in his hands. His bowtie was messy and undone, his tux open and white shirt rumpled. He didn’t look first class, and certainly didn’t feel it. He felt… broken.

“I’m here for you,” Gabriel knelt beside him, hugging him close. “You’re not alone, y’know, I can be your friend on this ship.”
Sam lets out a wet, strangled laugh. “T-Thank you.”

Minutes passed before they finally moved, Sam embarrassed as he wiped his tears away. By now, the sun was low in the sky, the afternoon rays starting to cast long shadows around them. Gabriel stood up, offering a hand to Sam, who gratefully took it and stood up as well.

“I believe we have a party to get to,” Sam manages a shaky laugh and smile.

“Well… we have some spare time before it if you want to just hang out.”

“Hang out?”

“Yeah, you know, sit together and talk and stuff,” Gabriel shrugs.

Sam’s mouth quirked up into a smile, a real smile. “Like friends?”

Gabriel laughs, “yeah, is that such a foreign concept to you?”

Sam rolls his eyes in amusement, “no, of course not, I’m just not used to…”

“Real friends? People that aren’t stuck up?” Gabriel wriggles his eyes at the taller boy.

“Oh do shut up,” Sam laughs, nudging him.
They walked along the shadowy decks, grinning widely as they chattered about everything and anything.

“Just up here,” Gabriel grabbed Sam’s hand, dragging him behind him as he took off running.
Sam looked down at their clasped hands with a light blush, then he realised that Gabe was looking back at him, and obviously noticing the blush.

The only thing stopping him from stuttering out a poor excuse was the soft blush on Gabriel’s face that was accompanying the shy gaze in those whisky coloured eyes.

“Uh, so this is where I like to come and think,” Gabriel says quietly, his eyes not moving from Sam’s.

He takes a step back, his hand still entwinned with Sam’s for some reason, and ends up leaning against the wall.

Sam took half a step forward, his movements jerky and slow as he finds himself in a daze. The movements simply weren’t his own, and as Gabriel looked up at him, his warm eyes reflecting the sunlight that was also making his hair glow softly. Sam wasn’t entirely sure about what was happening, all he knew was that suddenly Gabriel was reaching up and Sam was leaning down and their lips crashed together in a passionate wave of heat.

Sam sighs into the kiss, it felt so right, despite how wrong people would say it was, and holding Gabriel in his arms felt… good.

They pulled back, smiling goofily at each other as they embraced in the hidden corner. Sam ran his fingers through Gabe’s golden hair, and in return Gabriel grips Sam’s suit and smiles against his lips.
“Aren’t you afraid of your first class friends seeing us?” Gabe smirked.

“Aren’t you afraid of your work friends seeing us?” Sam smirks back, pressing his lips against Gabe’s once more. He felt freer than he had in ages, like a weight had been lifted from his chest and even the fear of someone seeing them couldn’t put a dint in it.

He felt freer than he had in ages, like a weight had been lifted from his chest and not even the fear of someone seeing them couldn’t put a dint in it.
Gabe chuckles, leaning against Sam’s taller frame. “Is it bad that I don’t give a damn anymore?”

“Is it bad that I don’t either?”

Gabe just sighs, closing his eyes and resting the side of his face against Sam’s chest. “It feels like I’ve spent my entire life looking for this exact moment.”

Sam hums in agreement, looking out across the water that glinted under the suns afternoon rays. ‘I’ve found you at last,’ he holds Gabe tighter and the two stood there as time fell away around their small bubble of happiness.

Of course, their peace was soon interrupted by the sound of Balthazar calling Gabriel’s name from further down the deck.
“Gabriel! Where the heck are you? You imp! If you’re hiding from me….”

Gabriel giggled, pressing his face against Sam’s chest to muffle the sound.

“Gabriel!” Now Balthazar was sounding awfully close, and Sam pulled back from Gabe with a twinge of fear, what if Balthazar saw where they were and got suspicious?

Gabriel must of seen how scared Sam suddenly was because he immediately reaches out and places a calming hand on Sam’s arm.

♡♡♡
Party scene is in the next chapter as this is all I could do this week 💞