Part Five

The morning comes too quickly. I feel so drained and dead. My body feels like it's going through a withdraw from an addiction. I pull myself out of bed and take a scorching shower. My skin soaks in all the rawness the water gives me. It's only when the water grows cold, when I leave the stall. I towel dry my hair and get dressed. I make pit stop at the basement door. The lights struggle to come on as I descend the stairs. Victoria's head hangs to the side. The slight rise and fall of her chest lets me know she's still alive. Returning upstairs, I grab my keys and climb into my truck. The address to the high school leads me to a giant old building. I park off to the side and climb out with the folder I keep handy with fake information. When you've lived thousands of years, you learn to be a proper forger or at least know someone who is. All eyes are on me as I walk to the main office.

"Ms. Karen?" My voice is hesitant.

She looks like a woman who just graduated here herself.

"Yes? You must be Matthew." She stands up from her desk and walks to the counter.

I can tell she's trying to stop herself from staring at me for too long.

"Well, welcome to Watson's High. I'm sure you'll fit right in." She smiles sweetly.

I smile back. "I hope so. I'm really nervous. Here are my papers." I hand over the folder.

She takes it happily and goes back to her desk to enter in my "information." I lean back onto the counter and look through the oversized windows at the passing students. I can tell they're whispering away about me as they stare. I smirk invitingly.

"Don't worry about them. This being a small town and all, we have to marvel at every new person that comes along." Karen waves them off.

"So am I all set?"

I need to find Andria. She's my main priority not these lower species. I wipe away my distaste for them.

"Yes, sir. Just need a parent or guardian signature." She slides a sheet across the counter.

I nearly growl. "My aunt Lucy had left town for a while so she can't sign it. Since I'm of age, can I?"

"Well, she never told me about leaving..."

This woman is grinding my nerves!

"She didn't tell you about me either. Things just happen." I snap.

Karen jumps at my brisque tone. I close my eyes and breathe through my nose.

"I'm sorry. Every time I think about Lucy leaving, I think about how she's going to go see my no good father."

Karen nods hesitantly. I hate small towns with a passion. This would make sense as to why Andria chose this place of all places.

"So can I sign the papers?" I attempt to change the awkward air.

"Um...sure." She slides mea pen.

I smile and scribble my signature of my fake name all over the paper.

"There you go." I slide them back.

"Thank you. Here's your schedule. Good luck." She hands me a slip of paper and walk back over to her desk.

Before I leave, she glances back at me casually. I wave and steps back into the halls. The crowd of students instantly grow quiet. I narrow my eyes. I wish I can show them real fear. I look at my schedule and try to figure out what direction my class is.

"Need help?"

I look up to a young girl highly developed for her age. I flash my charming smile.