Chapter 30

"The Last Day of School"

            I woke up on Wednesday morning with a smile on my face. It was the last day of school. The last day of my high school life.

            I jumped out of bed and ran to the shower. When I was completely done and dressed I made my way downstairs.  I walked into my kitchen and saw my dad sitting at the table with a cup of coffee. When he looked up and saw me, he smiled.

            “Hey,” I said as I walked over and grabbed a coke out of the refrigerator.

            “Hey sweetie. Today’s the last day huh?”

            “Yes sir,” I said with a smile as I took the seat across from him.

            “It makes me sad to think that all we have left is one summer before you leave for college,” he said as he shook his head.

            “I’ll be back,” I said as I rolled my eyes. “It’s not like I’m leaving all together.”

            “I know. I know. So how many of you are staying together?”

            “Everyone.”

            “Aidan’s going with you,” he repeated with a raised eyebrow.

            “Yeah. We found out a few days ago,” I said sheepishly.

            “I’m happy for you sweetheart. You seem to really love him.”

            “I do,” I said as I looked at the ground. Then I heard a knock at the door. I turned around and practically ran to the front door. When I opened it the person we were just talking about was standing in front of me. He smiled at me and I felt my heart turn over in my chest.

            “Hey,” he said.

            “Hi,” I said back. Then he leaned down and gave me a quick kiss. I stepped back from the door and he came in behind me. I walked back down the hallway to the kitchen with Aidan on my heels.

            “Hello Aidan,” my dad said with a smile when we walked in.

            “Hello Mr. O’Neil,” Aidan said back as he sat down in one of the chairs.

            “How are you feeling about your last day of high school?”

            “Excited and a bit anxious,” he said back as he looked over at me.

            “Kayla seems to be that way to,” my dad said back.

            “I am. I’m just ready for a peaceful summer,” I said back as I sat down beside Aidan.

            “I’m more ready for college to start,” Aidan said as he ran his hand down my hair.

            “I’m sure,” my dad said with a smirk. If I wasn’t mistaken I saw Aidan blush a little bit. I laughed a little before looking up at the clock.

            “It’s time to go,” I said as I sighed and stood up. “Your truck or my car?”

            “Neither,” he said as he stood too. He held out his hand to me with a weird smile. I placed my hand in his before grabbing my bag and letting him pull me away. When we made it outside I looked around. What I saw made me smile.