Chapter 6

"Babysitting"

            As soon as I walked through my front door I knew my brother had been cooking. There was smoke everywhere and a burnt smell was in the air. I dropped my bags and ran for the kitchen. When I stepped through the archway I saw my brother dumping a skillet into the sink under running water.

            “What the hell were you doing,” I asked.

            “I was trying to make a grilled cheese,” he said while he was turning on the vent.

            “You should have waited on me to get home.”

            “I didn’t know how late you would be.”

            “I’m always here by at least 5:30”

            He didn’t say anything back to me. He just continued to clean up his mess around the kitchen.

            “Well I’m going to do my homework,” I said. “Aidan will be here around 7:30 to pick me up. Just let me know when he gets here.”

            “Why is Aidan picking you up,” Hunter asked as he turned to look at me.

            “We have to do a real world job together so I’m taking him with me to watch Sarah.”

            “Alone?”

            “Well me, him, and Sarah.”

            “I don’t know if I like that.”

            “You don’t have to like it.”

            “He’s bad news.”

            “It’s not like I have a choice and you don’t even know him.”

            “And you do?”

            “No. That’s why I’m not judging him!”

            We just stood there looking at each other with angry looks on our faces. I could tell that he was really mad but I didn’t care. He didn’t know what he was talking about. Without saying anything else, I turned and raced up the stairs.

            When I got to my room I slammed the door and went to my closet. I pulled out a pair of my favorite jeans. They were skinny jeans that were frayed in designed way. They were a little old so the color was faded but it made them look even better. I picked out a red tank top to go with it. I decided to change now so that I wouldn’t have to rush later.

            After I got dressed I pulled my hair out of my ponytail and brushed it out before putting it back up. I didn't bother with any make-up. I don’t even know why I buy it. It’s not like I ever wear it anyway. I turned to look at myself in my full length mirror and decided that I looked pretty dang good.

            I went over and jumped on my bed to start my homework. I opened my calculus book and got started. What felt like five minutes later I heard a knock on my door. I looked at the clock on my bedside table and saw that it was 7:20. I jumped up and threw on my red Chuck Taylors before opening the door and looking out at my brother.

            “Aidan’s here,” he said and turned to go back down the stairs. I reached over and grabbed my phone, keys, and cash off of my table and followed him down the stairs.