The Project

*****This story is in the Watty Awards 2012. Please vote for every chapter! It would be greatly appreciated :)*****      

                                                        "The Project"

             I couldn’t believe this! I knew Ms. Greenwood, my school principle, was crazy but I didn’t know she was this crazy. I had no idea what put this stupid idea in her head but it was horrible. I should probably go back to this morning and let you know what happened.

            First off my name is Kayla O’Neil and today started out as a normal day for me. I woke up to my alarm blaring, which told me it was time to get ready for school. I jumped out of bed like normal and ran to get in the shower before my annoying brother could make it in there. If he made it in there, then I would never make it to school on time. I rushed through my shower and ran to get ready. Today was the first day of my second semester of my twelfth grade year.  It should have been great.

            I never got dressed up for school. I just wasn’t the type, to my best friends’ ultimate disappointment. So I just threw on my Beatles t-shirt and a pair of skinny jeans with my Chucks.  It was my normal attire. I never had the patience to fix my hair so of course it went into a sloppy ponytail and I ran downstairs.  I had to hurry up and eat my breakfast because in a few minutes my best friend Amber would be here and we would be on our way.

            I scarfed down my bowl of cereal and was putting it in the sink, when I heard the sound of Ambers car horn. I grabbed my backpack and ran outside. I saw Amber sitting in her perkily green colored Bug and ran out to jump inside. Amber was, as usual, fixing her makeup. I don’t even know why she wears it. She's beautiful enough as it is.

            Amber is the same age as me. We were only born a few days apart but we were polar opposites. She’s tall and graceful whereas I’m short and severely clumsy. Her hair was wavy and a honey blonde color that every girl wished for. Mine was dark brown and stick straight. She had sparkly blue eyes and mine were a dull green color. She had the perfect cheerleader body and I was on the skinny side. She was always dressed up, with her makeup perfect, and her hair prefect and well you know how I dressed and did my hair. She was a cheerleader and I worked on the school newspaper. We shouldn’t have been best friends but for some reason in eighth grade we clicked and we’ve been as close as sister ever since.

            I rode to school with her every day. My dad refused to let me get behind the wheel of a car because to tell the truth, I sucked at driving. For some reason I just could not get the hang of it. But I didn’t mind riding with Amber every day. It was kind of fun.

            “You look good Amber. We should really go before we’re late for school. There is supposed to be some big assembly today,” I said in a totally fake exasperated voice. I just loved to get on her nerves.

            “We’ll make it there in plenty of time. Don’t worry about it so much. I just wonder what Ms. Greenwood would be so excited for anyway,” Amber said as she backed out of my driveway.

            “No clue. She’s crazy. We all know that. She is keeping it super secretive though. I heard that not even the teachers know what’s going on.”

            All Amber did was shake her head so I turned up the radio and we rode the rest of the way to school in silence. I was still thinking about what that crazy woman had planned for us this morning though. There was no telling.