Chapter 24

"Dress Shopping"

          The rest of the week had gone by fast. I had been spending all of my time working at the diner, working at the newspaper, and working on the prom decorations. I was exhausted and I could barely keep my eyes open. I had just gotten up and was sitting at my dining table eating cereal. Today was the day we were going to look for prom dresses.

            I had just put a spoonful in my mouth when the doorbell rang. I sighed before standing up and walking to the door. I looked through the peep hole and saw Aidan standing there. I instantly felt self-conscious about my pajamas. I hadn’t even brushed my hair yet. With a sigh I opened the door and looked at him.

            “What are you doing here,” I asked.

            “I just came to see you,” he said with a raised eyebrow.

            “Well come on in,” I said as I turned around and walked back into the kitchen. I plopped back down in my chair and went back to eating my cereal. Aidan came in and sat down in front of me.

            “Why are you grumpy,” he asked after a minute.

            “I’m not grumpy,” I replied as I looked up at him.

            “You seemed grumpy when you opened the door.”

            “I just wasn’t expecting anyone,” I said quietly.

            “Would you rather I leave,” I asked as he looked at me.

            “No. I like that you’re here. I’m sorry I was grumpy.”

“It’s ok. Everyone is every now and then.”

“I’m just tired.”

“I know. You’re wearing yourself down to the bone.”

“I know. I know. I guess it’s a good thing we’re going shopping today.”

“Maybe for you,” he said with a frown.

“What? You don’t want to shop?”

“Hell no. I hate shopping.”

“You don’t have to go,” I said as I stood and walked into the kitchen.

            “Yeah right. I’m not leaving you alone with Josh all day,” he said as he followed me.

            “Why are you so worried about that,” I said as I leaned back against the counter.