SIXTEEN

|16

|16.| FAMILY PROBLEMS

ALARIC HAD EXPLAINED TO THE VAMPIRES WHAT HE HAD FOUND, so Cora called up Elena to see for herself and for her to bring a camera so Alaric can take pictures of what Damon and Cora can't see. The new friends, excluding Damon, walk back up to meet with Elena so they can guide her into the deepest part of the Lockwood cellar.

"So, the Lockwoods really have no idea that these tunnels are underneath their property?" Elena asks as they all walk deeper into the tunnel, while shining her way through.

"Careful where you shine that thing. Bats hate the light," Alaric mentions to her.

"Wait, what?"

There was a whisper around the small space in the tunnel and Cora rolls her eyes as she knows who it is. Damon says Elena's name and pops out in front of her, scaring her half to death.

"God, Damon!" Elena lets out a huff.

"Scaredy-cat!" Damon taunts as if he is a child.

"Just ignore him. That's what I did for fifty years," Cora states as she crosses her arms.

"So, you two really can't get in?" Elena looks between the Salvatores.

"No. Seems even the ancient Lockwoods were anti-vampire," Damon states.

"What do you mean ancient?" Elena asks.

"We can show you, better than we can tell you," Cora says as she nods her head forward. The group walks further into the tunnel until they hit a certain point where Cora and Damon have to stay behind.

"Well, this is as far as we go," Damon says, stopping where the barrier is.

Elena and Alaric, the ones eligible to enter the cave, walks further inside and Cora takes a seat on a rock, leaning against the rock wall. Damon messes with her by touching her curled hair and softly pulling at it. She swats his hand away and veins pop from her eyes, clearly annoyed.

"What is all this?" Elena asks, pulling Cora out from her true state.

"Well, as far as I can tell, it's a story. In simple, archaeological terms, it's a really, really old story," Alaric answers her question. "That right there, is the moon cycle. A man, a wolf."

"A werewolf," Cora comments, keeping her arms crossed over her chest.

"Yeah, it's the 'Lockwood Diaries: Pictionary-Style.'" Damon says and Cora gives him 'seriously' look.

"I don't understand. I thought the Lockwoods came here with the Original Founders in the 1860s," Elena says loud enough for the others to hear.

"I don't know. Maybe the Lockwoods did, but according to this wall, these werewolves have been here a lot longer than that," Alaric states.