𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘. Farewell

Start from the beginning

So when her eyes landed on the familiar face right ahead amidst the crowd, she forgot all about her injury and how she was not supposed to get up on her feet or move much if she did not want the stitches to be undone, and tried to push herself on her feet, only to groan in pain.

"Kate-!" Zach gasped but Kate ushered her hands trying to assure him, despite that her eyes now brimmed with tears from throbbing pain. She pointed to where Barry was, and Zach hastened up.

"Barry!!" Kate still yelped when they were close enough ignoring the blunt throbs that struck her from all the movements and without a care if her sudden action alarmed the others. "Oh, thank goodness, you're alright!!"

Barry, who was talking to another staff, left his post immediately to check up on her as soon as he saw her. "Kate, how are you feeling now?" He asked taking her hands in his.

"Quite better," she tried to smile, "I'm tougher than I look."

"Of course, you are," Barry chuckled, although the smile from his lips started fading. "I heard from your brother, and I've meaning to look for you ever since.... I'm sorry that I didn't find you before you did, I have no excuse to—"

"Hey, it's okay. I know you all have your hands full. I totally understand."

"Yeah.. You've no idea," Barry sighed, and for a moment there was a hint of exhaustion all over his face, but soon that disappeared as his gaze shifted to her companion. "How are you holding up... Zach, was it?"

"Yep," Zach gave a nod, "I'm fine, thanks."

There was a few seconds of silence, and a staff interrupted the trio wanting to have a word with Barry but he dismissed the staff soon enough.

"Didn't see you since the raptors went berserk. I had been worried sick...." Kate started, and Barry nodded again.

"I was worried about you, too. You saved me but risked your necks at the same time... Man, I tried every ways to find you guys ever since, but all futile." He waved his hands with a sigh. "That is, until your brother showed up before me, a couple of hours ago."

Kate nodded, a question already bubbling up in her mind. "Did you... hear about what happened to the raptors...?"

"Oh, yeah," he nodded, in doleful eyes. "Fierce little beasts they were.... You know, I miss them." 

The raptors sure were handful, even messed up pretty bad a few times, yet they cared for them and it was only natural that their demise came as a blow to the both of them.

He sighed again, glancing around, then looked back into her eyes. When she observed, the look in his eyes only ached her heart once more. Someone shouted the estimated time of the docking times for the ferries, sending a new ripple of hustle amongst the staffs and the volunteers who were working around tirelessly, and it only struck her harder how she would have to leave every dear ones behind when she would be leaving this island.

"Girl... I hate to say this, but... there's still a lot left that I need to take care of and we might not see each other again, so... I guess, this is goodbye," Barry smiled, but beyond that there was unmistakable sorrow gleaming in his eyes. After all these years of living and working together, no doubt it was going be hard for them not seeing each other again. She gave a curt nod, struggling to keep the smile intact on her face.

"Tu vas me manquer," mumbled Barry in his native tongue with a small smile, but unlike the usual times when she could half-understand and half-assume, Kate did not know what it meant. She had never heard this phrase before.