Chapter 3 - Willow

'I-I'm just leaving. Thanks for having m-me.' I turned away.

'Your not going anywhere!' he bellowed. I began to breathe rapidly, completely showing my fear, making myself vulnerable. I looked down at his clenched fist; he was going to punch me. I had to hurt him first, the sharp studs on the bottom of my trainers were probably my only chance, I lifted my leg high and booted him in the nose, blood spilled from his nostrils as his hands flew to his face. I started to run away but tripped on the door step, he grasped my jumper and pulled me in. I screamed and shouted, kicked and punched but it was useless, he dragged me down the stairs into the eerie basement. I tried to pierce his skin with my chewed nails but it didn't work, I was defenceless.

'Let me go!' I squealed, knowing it was no use. I turned around to look at his face and, as I did, his eyes turned black, completely black, even the sclera. He opened his mouth, revealing sharp teeth, similar to those of Raya's killer. He was a zombie, he had to be! Was he going to turn me into one? I had to escape his grip. Any sudden movements such as punches or kicks would make him more indignant and much more terrifying. He threw me into a large cage, steel bars surrounding me. He snarled as he walked away. I turned around, noticing a young child curled up in the corner, a thin blanket draped over her shoulders. Her shivers were deafening. 'A-are you okay?' I whispered, quietly. No answer.
'What's your name?' I asked. No answer. Suddenly the man came back down, he walked over to a cupboard and opened it, revealing shelves full of syringes filled with a green liquid. 'Her name's Willow' he sighed as he rolled his eyes. 'She's been here for months and hasn't said a word, don't even try'

I stepped towards Willow and she started to back away. 'It's okay, I'm not going to hurt you' I reassured her. Nothing. She was silent apart from the loud clattering of her teeth and the monstrous rumble in her belly. 'I'm guessing your hungry?' I said, dropping my bag on the floor, slowly unzipping it, and showing her the pocket full of chocolate bars and a couple of energy drinks. I saw a grin appear on her face, he hasn't been feeding her well, I thought. 'How old are you?' I asked her, hoping, wishing and praying for and answer. She coughed lightly and cleared her throat, '6, but I'm nearly 7' she said in a small voice, chewing on her Twix.

I curled my lips into a smirk. She finally talked. She noticed my happiness and laughed nervously. 'So...' I continued, 'How long have you been here?'
She shrugged. 'What.. does he feed you..?' I kept going, interrogating her. 'He...? You mean they' Confused, I narrowed my eyebrows. '...Who's they?' I cleared my throat.
'What's up with your eyes?' Willow asked, cheerfully. Her acorn-brown eyes blinked with feigned innocence as she saw my expression. Angry. 'W-what..?' She said, softly.
'Who's they?' I repeated. 'Oh...uhh..y'know..' she trailed off. 'It's not just my father here, his-' she threw her hand up to her mouth. 'I-I mean..' 'That's your dad..? The short guy with the bald head and grey stubble?!' My eyes widened.
'Would you believe me if I said no..?' She tried to joke. I could tell this little girl was joyful and cheery but, behind the happy face, I could see her traumatising past, eating her up on the inside. I frowned.

My eyes wandered to the far corner of the 'cage' and I spotted a covered window; I slowly stepped towards it, grabbed the cloth and ripped it down, releasing a bar-covered window, with only three cracks, roughly 2-3 inches wide. I stood with my fingers clasped onto the bars, what was I looking at? Everything was gone. The skatepark has been torn to shreds and most of the buildings were piles of rubble in the middle of the street. Willow walked over to me, wobbling with each step. She glared behind the bars, blinked twice and fell to the ground. 'Zombies...' she muttered. 'It's..Zombies' She was lying on the concrete, getting colder and colder. She started going pale, a sickly white colour. Tears trickled down my face, landing on her cute puppy jumper. 'Willow?' I screamed. 'Willow! Willow..please..' I sobbed over her body for around ten minutes before I finally realised, it was too late. I checked her pulse, it was non-existent. I'd lost her. My teeth rattled and my body shook. My tears were like salty waterfalls, flushing down my face.

I had to get out of here. For Willow's sake. My biggest dread was that man, Willow's Dad, coming in and finding her, he'd kill me! I forced my arm through the small gap in the cage and grabbed the cabinet, which was full of syringes. It fell to the floor with a loud BANG. I gasped. Trying to be quiet, I grasped one of the syringes and injected it into myself with no hesitation. I winced as I felt the liquid go up my arm. I gripped the bars on the window and felt the urge to twist them into deformity. And I did! There was a bigger gap now, about 10 inches wide, I scaled up the wall and climbed through the gap. 'Tight squeeze' I said to myself. I ran up the street, dodging rocks and pieces of homes and houses and shops and... skateparks. I sighed. I could see one house which was still together, Marco's house. Marco was a nerdy geek in my form, he was always prepared for everything and always ten steps ahead. So, of course, his house was completely protected. I ran, my head spinning. I blinked a few times and each time I opened my eyes this got more and more real, I was in a zombie apocalypse . I was running to Marco Lentins house. I was escaping from a murderer. Maybe..? Was he a murderer though?

I finally reached Marcos front door and, as I lifted my hand to knock, the door flew open, revealing a scared Marco standing in the doorway. 'Hi' I said. 'I need help.'
'O-okay..' he stuttered. 'Come right in'
——————————————————————————————————————
Authors Note
Heyyyyy everyone! Wow we're on over 100 reads and this is only the third chapter! This is sooo exciting! Thank you everyone for reading my story! Oh yeah and, one more thing! I realised I haven't named my main character yet, any name ideas?? Well that's it's so
Baiiiiiiii x
~Catlin