𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍. Fight To Death

Start from the beginning

She was drawing slow, short breaths in an attempt to steady her breathing, hoping it would make her pain a little more bearable, when without a warning something crashed in the vicinity with a horribly sickening thud. Kate flinched hard, half expecting to see the same tail that knocked her out earlier, or perhaps, a pterosaur itself lounging towards her, causing a shooting pain to writhe her sides, and she bit back a scream.

Something writhed next to her, and when she looked, it took her a moment to identify it to be a velociraptor. "V-Violet?!" Kate gasped; she remembered catching a glimpse of Violet right before passing out, as the raptor before her now squirmed and screeched with blood oozing out of a big gash on its side and staining the ground. A fierce pain gripped her, yet through it all, she noticed the absence of violet stripes on her side and rather the different eye colour of the raptor; no doubt it was Delta. With every second she seemed to be growing weaker and lifeless as a puddle of blood now surrounded her scathed body.

"N-No... no no no no..." the whispers escaped her lips as the tears started welling up in her eyes. Delta's gaze travelled to meet hers, and the painful look, or was it fear in her eyes, clenched at her heart. Oh, how she wished to give some comfort to Delta in her last minutes, to try and ease her pain, but the mere thought of moving heavily dreaded her; the wound on her torso already hurt so bad that even breathing felt so hard, making her wish she did not have to draw breaths anymore.

"Shhh. It's... it's gonna be okay... You're gonna be okay," whispered Kate looking into Delta's eyes with as much as love she could hold in hers. "You're gonna be fine."

If there was no way to mend her wound or save her, and if she could do nothing to stop her pain, she could at least try to let her dying minutes not be so fearful. Even if it meant lying. It could not be so wrong to lie to someone so scared, not when that someone was so close to death and there was no other way to comfort them.

"There's no need to be scared... I- I'm right here," Kate was now struggling to keep her voice steady, but there were squeezing lumps in her throat, and her voice broke. She tried to stifle a sob, deciding to be brave even of just once, for her sake. Blood was still trickling down her fingers with which she was trying to put pressure on the wound, and the pain was rising from her sobs, but she was going to forget it now.

Her words seemed to have put a lulling effect on Delta. Kate tried to smile despite the tears running down her cheek and stretched a hand forward, in hope of touching her, giving her one last stroke, ignoring the pain swelling inside her as she did, so she might not be so scared or lonely in her last few minutes. But the tip of her fingers barely met her skin; there was a little gap between her fingers and Delta's head which was closest in her reach. She wavered and flickered her fingers, trying to close the gap in between them, when a small croak caught her notice and before her eyes, she saw the light of her eyes fade. Now, the yellow eyes looked hazy and unfocused and devoid of life, they were still staring at her but not seeing her anymore.

Owen pulled a finger over his lips as soon as the ground gave a soft quake, locking his gaze with the Mitchells indicating the urgency of silence. The chimes on the front door tinkled louder through the silence with every quakes as it drew nearer. Until they all stopped: the soft quakes, the tinkle of the chimes, and a strangling silence seemed to stretch on.

A huge shadow was casted over them, darkness of which swallowed them in whole and there followed a long, rattling breath....