Chapter 11 - paired up

~Natsu's POV~

I was home reading the mail from school. An upcoming trip, huh?

My mom walked my bedroom in.

"Hey, Natsu. What are you doing?"

"Reading a mail, mum," I said, already a little annoyed. They didn't need to know how my day goes all the time.

"Hey honey, where is your girlfriend?" she asked. I have completely forgotten that Lucy was my pretend girlfriend.

"She has business to finish," I lied. I couldn't think of something else.

"Ok, I just remembered something. I was good friends with her mother, Layla Heartfilia," she began, pausing.

My eyes widened. What are the odds? So great, we hate each other while our parents were great friends.

"She left something to me, it was a gift for her daughter. It was the day she had an accident. I want you to give these keys to her. These are the zodiacs."

She gave me twelve keys. I only nodded, not knowing what I had to say. How did I not know her mother died? In an accident? It makes me think back about the heated conversation we had.

I don't want to give these keys to her, she doesn't deserve it. But then I remembered her pale face when I held her bracelet. I tightened the keys in my hands.

They are another item for her. I'm past that threatening thing, that won't work anymore.

My mother sighed and walked the door out. I looked back at the keys. Maybe when the time is right?

I was so bored that I decided to do my homework. I'm actually smart if I put effort in it.

It was now Thursday, and today we are going to get details about the trip. I drove my car to Elsa's house. He asked if I could pick him up. So yeah, why not?

"Hey, snow cone!" I greeted him. He glared at me and I grinned back. He is the only one I can be carefree with.

"Yo, Tabasco freak," he said to me. I drove to school. We were popular, even I with my attitude.

I saw Lucy and remembered my keys. They are somewhere on my desk.

I smirked and walked to class. Lucy walked in only to be greeted by a push from Sting. Luckily the teacher wasn't in the room or else he would be suspended.

She hissed in pain. The bruise she got from Lisanna was still there, on the place she bumped against the wall.

Usually a girl cried, but Lucy didn't. I love a challenge. Sting wanted to trip her again, but I stopped him.

"Enough, Sting, the teacher is coming."

Sting listened, he knows that I'd kick his ass otherwise. And you don't want me to do that.

Lucy sat down. She was lonely until Levy came with the rest.

"Lu-chan! Can we make it up to you? We know that Dragneel is the reason behind this," Levy said. I glared at her when her eyes met mine. She hid behind Mira and Erza, they glared back. I felt satisfied with scaring Levy so I minded my own business for the time being.

Lucy became emotional when she listened to her friends. I don't even care I'm eavesdropping.

Fucking hell. She can go to hell with her acting like she cares.

~Lucy's POV~

I smiled gratefully. I only asked for friends, and now they want me back. "You don't have to make it up. I'm the one that should be apologizing," I said and they smiled. We hugged each other and oh, what have I missed this feeling.