Chapter 17 - The Birthday

Start from the beginning

“He’s your Dad, Nikki.  It’s your choice. Jail or, you know… the other thing.”

“Kill him.  How do I decide that?”

“We can’t leave him.  He’s bad.”

“How are we any different?”

“We’re not evil.  Nikki, the man beat you and your Mom up for years.  If that’s not a good enough reason to put someone behind bars – at the very least – then search me.  Because I don’t know what to do about him.”

“I thought you’d opt for that other thing.”

“I’ve never been a fan of him, that’s not news.  But he’s still your Dad.”

“Exactly.” Nikita got to her feet and moved towards the bedroom door.  “We’d be the biggest hypocrites, Ruth, if we caught him and sent him off to jail.”

“We didn’t have a choice.”

“Yes, we did.”

“Okay, fine we did.  We chose to do what was necessary though.  Your Dad is an entirely different story.  He’s the bad guy, Nikki.  We’ve done a lot of good to the world by ridding it of his kind of people.”

Nikita laughed, it was a little choked but cold.  “Whatever helps you sleep at night, Ruth.”

Nikita brushed past Jack on her way out as he entered with a steaming plate of scrambled eggs and toast.  He gave her curious glance before turning back to Ruth with her breakfast.

“What’s up with her?”

Ruth sighed.  “Talking about her Dad.  I don’t know what I’m going to do there.”

“Oh, I see.  What are you girls going to do about him?”

“I’m letting Nikita decide that.  I just don’t want whatever she decides to come between us.  I went completely the wrong way about it.”

“She’s just upset.  Nikita killed her childhood babysitter last night.  I’m sure she’s in no mood right now to talk about her Dad.”

“But you agree with me, right?  He should be locked away.”

“Oh definitely.  He’s no better than Shroud or Mama, he doesn’t deserve freedom.”

“What about me and the girls?  We aren’t exactly innocent either.”

“You’re no angels,” Jack admitted, “but you’re not evil either, Ruth.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

“No, seriously, thank you.  For always being there for me.  Sticking up for me even when you probably shouldn’t.”

Jack laughed.  “Eat your breakfast, West.  There’s a surprise for you downstairs when you’re ready.”

“A surprise?”

“Have you forgotten what day it is?”

Jack leaned over and kissed her so gently as if he feared she would break at his touch.  That brought back a memory.  Weeks ago, when she’d first met Jack and he’d discovered who she really was, he made a promise that, once she turned eighteen, he wouldn’t hold back on her any longer.

Ruth felt herself blush and a heated sensation started to creep up her neck and ears.  When Jack pulled away he looked happy, really happy, which surprised Ruth as she wasn’t too sure if she was happy herself.  Only when she was in Jack’s did she ever feel close to it.  But today was her eighteenth birthday, she’d better act happy if she couldn’t muster true happiness.