Chapter 9 - The Hotel

Megan sat behind the wheel of the car, Nikita slumped forth asleep in the passenger seat.  Ruth and Jack passed out in the back too whilst Jesse and Mason started playing a card game, trying to keep quiet so as not to wake the others.

They’d been driving for a few hours now and the sun was starting to go pink as sunset neared.  They only had a few more hours to drive and they’d reach New York.  A sign ahead appeared and Megan smiled at the sight of it.

“Guys!” she said, waking the sleepers.  “Look where we are!”

“Pennsylvania?” Nikita said groggily, reading the sign.

“We should pull into a hotel.” Suggested Mason.

“Yeah, we all need some proper rest.” Jack said, rubbing his eyes wearily.

Megan drove into Harrisburg where she pulled up outside a Comfort Inn down near the river.  Ruth, Jack and Jesse all stayed in the car with their belongings whilst the other three went in to see about getting a room for the night.

The main interior was warmly decorated with comfortable seating and a black and stone decorated reception desk.  The woman behind the desk was currently on the phone with another customer, clicking rapidly away on the computer in front of her.

“How may I help you?” she asked, after setting the phone down, turning to them with a bright smile.

“Hi we’re looking to book a couple of rooms for tonight?” Megan said, stepping up to the receptionist.

“Okay, let’s see what I can find.  Is it just the three of you?”

“No, six.  Three more back in the car.”

“Yes, I think we have some doubles available.  They also come with a free continental breakfast.”

“That’s perfect.  How much?”

“I’ll go get the others and our stuff.”

“Wait, Nikki.” She continued in an undertone so as the receptionist couldn’t hear, “Just the money, the overnight bags and some of the stuff in my red bag.  The rest can stay in the car.  We’re only here for one night after all.”

“Got it.  I’ll be right back.”

“Here are your keys,” Nikita could hear the receptionist say as she headed for the car park, “and Wade will show you to your rooms when you’re ready.”

Ruth had fallen asleep against Jack’s shoulder again, he and Jesse were both staring, amused, at where Ruth’s left hand had landed.  In Jack’s crotch.

“Oh, don’t be such guys.” Nikita said acidly.  “Ruth, wake up!”

She snorted loudly then sat up straight in her seat, “I wasn’t asleep.”

“Yeah, if you say so.  Come on, over night stuff, money bags,” she said, tossing two at Ruth, “and the weapon bag only.” Nikita picked up the red bag filled with guns, ammo and knives after picking up her large sack full of money and her over night bag.

Jack and Jesse helped Ruth out of the back of the bus as she looked ready to pass out again but she stayed steady on her feet, two large bags full of money on each shoulder and another bag with her overnight stuff.  Jesse and Jack each grabbed their rucksacks as well as Mason and Megan’s stuff before locking up and following Nikita and Ruth into the hotel.

Megan tossed a set of keys at Nikita and another to Jack.

“Jesse and Nikita are in room 111, Ruth and Jack are in 115 and I’m in 120 with Mason.”