Chapter 7 - The Journey

Nikita and Megan packed their car with weapons from Ruth’s armoury, just in case.  Megan had called Mason to let him know she was alive and coming back for him.

“Slow down, I don’t understand.” Nikita heard him say while she drove.

“It’s not safe.  The people I told you about have turned against me and their enemies are now my enemies.  They know about you, Mason.  Please, pack a bag, I’m coming to take you somewhere safe until this is all over.”

“Are you sure this is a good idea?”

“There’s no other way.  I’m sorry for dragging you into all this, Mason.”

“It’s okay.  But what about my college studies?  Also, I have no money.”

“Don’t worry about money.  I have enough to set us up for life.”

“Did you rob a bank, Megan?” he asked dubiously but his voice sounded lighter.

“No, I earned it.  Trust me.”

“How is he?” Nikita asked as Megan hung up.

“Agitated, I guess.”

“He’s not aware of anyone following him?”

“No and he’s not hurt so I guess we can assume who ever is working for your Dad is keep their distance.  For now.  I see you’ve changed.” Megan said, noticing the new outfit Nikita changed into before leaving for their journey out to Nashville and Memphis.

“Yeah, like I was going out to see Jesse for the first time in ages in that outfit.”

Nikita had stripped off her plain jeans and red hoody to replace them with a pair of skinny fit lilac jeans, cream camisole, peach blouse and a pair of pearly ballet pumps.  She finished off the look by tying her hair back – doing her best to hide the blue streaks – and adding some fresh looking make up.

“There he is.” Megan said, sounding excited, as they pulled up outside the college.

Megan got out the car, checking her surroundings before she dashed out to meet Mason.  He had one suit case being pulled behind him, a rucksack hanging on his back and a laptop bag under his arm.

“I didn’t know how long I’d be gone so I just packed as much as I could carry.”

“Here let me help.” She said, taking his laptop and rucksack.  “I really am sorry, Mason.”

“I know.  You don’t have to keep apologising.”

 “I swear we’re going to make this right.  We’ll fix it.”

“I’m sure you will.”

“I know it’s a lot to accept and you hardly even know me so…”

“Megan, you can stop.  You don’t have to worry about me.”

“But I do.”

“Megan, its fine.  Tell me what’s really going on here.” He said, helping her put his stuff in the boot of the car.

“I just don’t understand.”

“What?”

“I don’t understand why you’re being so nice to me.  You should be mad.  I’m taking you away from college and your friends and family.”

“I am mad at you.” He said suddenly.

Megan’s eyes fell to her feet and she said, with as much conviction as she could muster, “Good, you should be.”