Chapter 14 - The Crash

“Okay, before we head off I found these apps for our phones.” Megan said, finding Nikita and Megan together in the master suite.

“Why would we need apps?” Ruth asked.

“These are no ordinary apps.  They’re tracker apps, so, no matter where we are we can always find each other.”

“That’s brilliant.” Nikita said happily.  “We’d better put them on the boys’ phones too.  I’m more concerned about them than us.”

“Lets also put one on Frost.  I don’t trust her.”

“Don’t trust who?” said Frost, suddenly appearing at the door.

“You.” Ruth answered honestly, give Megan your cell phone.”

“What for?” she asked, handing over the phone anyway.

“We don’t want to lost track on you.”

“Paranoid much?”

“Okay,” Megan said loudly, interrupting the tense diatribes thrown this way and that, “is there anything else we need before we leave?”

“Batteries for the flash lights.” Suggested Nikita.

“I’ll run over to the store to get some.  Anything else?”

“Some nibbles wouldn’t go amiss.  We’ve got a long trip ahead of us.” Said Ruth.

“Don’t go alone.” Nikita said to Megan’s retreating back.  “I know you’ve got the tracker on your cell but…”

“I’ll take Mason to give you peace of mind.”

“Thanks.”

“I think one of us better go speak to our landlady, let her know we’re leaving.” Ruth added.

“But what if we need to come back?”

“Give her a couple months rent upfront.  If we’re not back within a fortnight, we won’t be coming back.”

Nikita dug around in her money bag – hidden away in the wardrobe – and came up with a fistful of cash before following Megan and Mason from the room.  In the elevator she pressed the round button with the black number 1 whilst Megan punched in the ‘G’ for the ground level.

“See you in a few.” Megan said, the elevator doors closing off and sliding down.

“So, did I hear right before?” Mason asked.

“What?”

“It’s your mothers’ birthday today?”

“Oh, that, yeah.  Not much I can do about it though.”

“Isn’t there?”

Megan pretended not to hear that last comment as they entered the small grocery store across from their building.  They each took a basket from the pile next to the automatic doors and started to peer down the aisles for anything they might need.  Batteries and food were at the top of the list but soon they were scooping up other things into their basket.

Megan lifted a large bottle of champagne to surprise Ruth with on her eighteenth birthday this week.  Mason was picking up some party cups, plates and extra celebratory nibbles, if they had time to celebrate, before Mason caught up with Megan, finding her by the card rack.  There wasn’t much of a selection although she had picked up a variety for them all to choose from.  But her eyes kept sliding over to the ‘Mom’ section.

“There’s a payphone outside, you know?” he said, instantly guessing what was on her mind.

She sighed, “Mason…”